The Setup of the Day Thread

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

squarewave

Re: The Setup of the Day Thread

Post by squarewave »

Thank you kind sir I am forever in you & your 486’s debt 😜
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

squarewave wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:58 pm Thank you kind sir I am forever in you & your 486’s debt 😜
:hihi: 👍
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

freddy_von wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:26 am Loving this combo!
The Rooms takes fuzz so well and the Doper is just dark enough to accomodate the bright, washy settings.
God I wanted one of those dope priests so fuckin bad.
Glad U dig yours man
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
sovtekfuzz

Post by sovtekfuzz »

IG: SOVTEKFUZZ
Good deals with: Lpf4, Spook, Fishleehooker, sideasoundlab, freddy_von, hamoftruth, thinlazy, devnulljp
eerock

Post by eerock »

Not really trying to mimic synth sounds, I just love a good S&H filter and occasional ring mod with guitar. The Moog ring mod is also one of the best trems out there. Might have to swap the Ivor fuzz face for something a bit less noisy as it picks radio and the psu whine of the Moogs.. Still a killer fuzz face!

IMG-3251.jpg
IMG-3251.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1134 times
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

eerock wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:21 am Not really trying to mimic synth sounds, I just love a good S&H filter and occasional ring mod with guitar. The Moog ring mod is also one of the best trems out there. Might have to swap the Ivor fuzz face for something a bit less noisy as it picks radio and the psu whine of the Moogs.. Still a killer fuzz face!

IMG-3251.jpg
What else do you use ring mod for? I’ve always wanted one but never made any decent sounds when using vst versions on synths in my DAW. What’s the control processor?
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
eerock

Post by eerock »

Bigfoot2000 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:52 pm What else do you use ring mod for? I’ve always wanted one but never made any decent sounds when using vst versions on synths in my DAW. What’s the control processor?
I have usually set it as tremolo with its own lfo ramping the speed up and down really slow, kind of like changing the speed in Leslie. Also just straight up ring mod with mix set quite low. I use that with clean tones mainly, gets this bell like overtones if you tune it correctly. If I need washy background noises I set the lfo to sweep the ring mod frequency so it produces this siren like sound, Juan Alderete uses that quite a lot with bass. And if I need the S&H filter to sound even more dirty I mix in the ring mod with the S&H CV controlling the frequency so it follows the filter.
The control processor generates the control voltages which you can patch to control basically any knob in the Moogerfoogers. I have a S&H and triangle wave coming out of the CP-251 which go to both units. Both waveforms goes through its mixer so I can dial in which CV goes where without unplugging anything. Almost endless possibilities but still quite limited which is nice actually. No presets.. :badteeth:
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

eerock wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:23 pm
Bigfoot2000 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:52 pm What else do you use ring mod for? I’ve always wanted one but never made any decent sounds when using vst versions on synths in my DAW. What’s the control processor?
I have usually set it as tremolo with its own lfo ramping the speed up and down really slow, kind of like changing the speed in Leslie. Also just straight up ring mod with mix set quite low. I use that with clean tones mainly, gets this bell like overtones if you tune it correctly. If I need washy background noises I set the lfo to sweep the ring mod frequency so it produces this siren like sound, Juan Alderete uses that quite a lot with bass. And if I need the S&H filter to sound even more dirty I mix in the ring mod with the S&H CV controlling the frequency so it follows the filter.
The control processor generates the control voltages which you can patch to control basically any knob in the Moogerfoogers. I have a S&H and triangle wave coming out of the CP-251 which go to both units. Both waveforms goes through its mixer so I can dial in which CV goes where without unplugging anything. Almost endless possibilities but still quite limited which is nice actually. No presets.. :badteeth:
Wow thanks for the detail. One day I will get one of these they still go for a decent price. I think the key is to have the mix set low and ensure the pitch of the ring note is good for the key you are playing in. I’ll bet you can get some crazy synth sounds with fuzz and a bass.
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
eerock

Post by eerock »

Bigfoot2000 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:30 pm Wow thanks for the detail. One day I will get one of these they still go for a decent price. I think the key is to have the mix set low and ensure the pitch of the ring note is good for the key you are playing in. I’ll bet you can get some crazy synth sounds with fuzz and a bass.
Definitely one of my favorite pedals! I think you can still get them for 200-300$/€/£. I got these way before they got discontinued, 10-15 years ago. The ring mod has a great preamp in it too. Breaks up nicely if you push it. Can't say the same about the low pass filter, that's noisy as hell.
sovtekfuzz

Post by sovtekfuzz »

IG: SOVTEKFUZZ
Good deals with: Lpf4, Spook, Fishleehooker, sideasoundlab, freddy_von, hamoftruth, thinlazy, devnulljp