Colorsound One Knob Fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Stu

Colorsound One Knob Fuzz

Post by Stu »

I had one of the early issue one knob fuzzes for a while. The circuit was the same as the old Jennings Fuzz (also used in the Growler); it was a great fuzz and I wish I'd kept it. :doh:

I've just found one of the newer issues on Ebay... :shocked2: :puke:

Reminds me of those rats nest MkII reissues Dave mentioned. I wonder why they switched from a simple two transistor circuit to this mess? Anybody tried one?
kb892

Re: Colorsound One Knob Fuzz

Post by kb892 »

wow, that's a lot going on for one knob! i think that's actually one resistor paralleled by a opposing pair of clipping diodes doing the threesome.
kb892

Post by kb892 »

Here's a quick litytle blurb on the diode clipping thing that'll explain it way better than i could. it's a really common method of distorting a signal that's found in everything from those B & M/Jumbo TB's on thru the typical tubescreamer type ODs.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/diodes.html

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index ... Simplemods

I think you have a Zeke, the 4 pos switch in the first three positions switches in a few different diode clipping arrangements or at least that's how mine works... i've notices from pics that they some have different circuits.
Last edited by kb892 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analogguru

Post by analogguru »

The third part is an (axial) ceramic capacitor. The diode (capacitor) arrangement is like in the Supa Tonebender.

analogguru
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Stu wrote:Reminds me of those rats nest MkII reissues Dave mentioned. I wonder why they switched from a simple two transistor circuit to this mess? Anybody tried one?
Yup, Mr. Soldering guy surely was on the crazy train that day. :shocked:
I thought this very same thing. The original one knob Fuzz could have become a modern day classic if they would have left it the fuck alone. Simple and to the point. The mind boggles.
analogguru

Post by analogguru »

Stu wrote:I had one of the early issue one knob fuzzes for a while. The circuit was the same as the old Jennings Fuzz (also used in the Growler); it was a great fuzz and I wish I'd kept it. :doh:
:hmm: Did you like more the case or the circuit ?

If it is the circuit, then I can´t understand, why you don´t just build one. It is really very easy, even I can do it - have a look:

Sh*t, what did I do ? Now I have to find a case, drill it and paint it in blue only to house this pcb.... oh, f*ck.

analogguru
Attachments
Colsnd_Fuzz-clone_compangle.jpg
Colsnd_Fuzz-clone_compangle.jpg (157.61 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
Colsnd_Fuzz-clone_comp.jpg
Colsnd_Fuzz-clone_comp.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 7880 times
Colsnd_Fuzz-clone_tracks.jpg
Colsnd_Fuzz-clone_tracks.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 7935 times
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

beautiful! looks a lot neater than the colorsound unit.
Everything is transitional.
API

Post by API »

From my understanding the early ones were built by Dick Denney himself but since he past away I guess someone else is making them and changed the circuit.

API
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Stu wrote:I had one of the early issue one knob fuzzes for a while. The circuit was the same as the old Jennings Fuzz (also used in the Growler); it was a great fuzz and I wish I'd kept it. :doh:
at least you traced it, so we can clone it now :oldsmile:
Everything is transitional.