1967 Marshall 200 Major aka Pig demo

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

jerms

Re: 1967 Marshall 200 Major aka Pig demo

Post by jerms »

i guess on the latest one that pleximaster got the first 3 preamp tubes cathode resistors are 820 ohm with the first having a 500 uf bypass cap.... there are some decent gutshots of the new one in that thread on the marshall forum....
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

jerms wrote:i guess on the latest one that pleximaster got the first 3 preamp tubes cathode resistors are 820 ohm with the first having a 500 uf bypass cap.... there are some decent gutshots of the new one in that thread on the marshall forum....

Ahh....thats certainly believable and variances always appear in amps of that era. But thats also the only example of one with 820Ω, when there are multiples with 1.5K, which seems to suggest that 1.5K is the standard issue.
sciencefriction

Post by sciencefriction »

Cool, I hadn't seen your schematic Dr Balls. I remember when I talked to you about the Piglet awhile ago you hadn't done anything yet, I think? Really cool to see you finished it up.
jerms wrote:i guess on the latest one that pleximaster got the first 3 preamp tubes cathode resistors are 820 ohm with the first having a 500 uf bypass cap.... there are some decent gutshots of the new one in that thread on the marshall forum....
Hmm. This makes me want to start buying parts, and just see what combination makes the best dish. I thought the clip sounded more Superlead than I hear from Mick Ronson's amp (though really thick at the same time). Hard to say with so many different factors to consider. I want to hear someone play some Ziggy through one of these restored Pigs. :bangs head:
jerms

Post by jerms »

pleximaster posted a clip of the latest pig he bought.... the smaller cathode resistors and bypass cap have more gain than the 1.5K set up...
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: I gleaned my schematic (preamp through PI) from the PA schematic thats floating around, the vintagekiki schematic, and then vetted it with all of the various gut shots of standard models I could find. I think its pretty true to form but would be curious to hear it if you find any differences.

ImageBalls Piglet 1.1
Thanks for sharing Tony! Very generous of you :tu:
I’ll have a look at it later this week when I have some more time (hopefully)
sciencefriction

I think we should all start building Pigs, and form a club. Who has a tree house?

I wonder if I ever joined that forum.. If not I should just to say thanks. Also thank you to Dr Balls as well.

Is it silly that I want the dimensions for the chassis and cabinet? Haha. I want to build a replica now.
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

I had a quick read through the Marshall forum thread and it seems like the V1A bypass cap idea came from pictures of another unit that had surfaced.
If it’s the one below they’re talking about than it would appear that it’s actually a filter cap feeding V1A’s 100K plate load.

Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

sciencefriction wrote:Is it silly that I want the dimensions for the chassis and cabinet? Haha. I want to build a replica now.
Pics with cab and chassis dimensions were posted as well. There's no more excuses now :badteeth:
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

sciencefriction wrote: It would be cool to get the specs on the original transformers and get some made, but Merren has 100W Partridge style transformers so that'd probably be good enough. 200W would be kind of insane to build haha. I wonder if once a revised schematic + layout are available if Valvestorm would put something together for sale..
Apparently the old Carlsbro PA-200’s have the right Partridge transformers.
They pop up every once in a while on eBay UK and usually go for peanuts, you just need to be patient
sciencefriction

Radiotron wrote:
sciencefriction wrote:Is it silly that I want the dimensions for the chassis and cabinet? Haha. I want to build a replica now.
Pics with cab and chassis dimensions were posted as well. There's no more excuses now :badteeth:
Haha, oh snap. Time to learn how to make a chassis and cabinet. You guys can just call me Flintstone, as it's going to be an archaic DIY. :hihi:

Ah that's a good point, I do recall the old Carlsbro's did have Partridge transformers.

I work really slow guys so don't expect anything for awhile, but I'll do it.