Favourite Trannie?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Captain Winchester

Re: Favourite Trannie?

Post by Captain Winchester »

devnulljp wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:42 am
Captain Winchester wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:32 am
Laservampire wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:07 pm
1bottlerocket wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:01 pm Yeah--Interested.
I don't think DMs work with new members :bangs head:
Ah fair enough, thanks for letting me know.
You have 5 posts, should be good to go now
Ah fantastic, thanks!
Space_Case

Re: Favourite Trannie?

Post by Space_Case »

Just wanted to bump this one.

As someone who plays an LP and has done a lot of searching for germanium fuzzes with bell-like honk I've found myself seeking out sharpness and clarity as important characteristics with fuzzes. I find I'm also looking for some kind of unique texture being added to the sound as it distorts, as if the transistor is reacting to parameters of the circuit and is applying its own unique sandpaper grit to the signal as it clips (Probably entirely wrong about what's actually doing what, this has just been my experience is all).

What I've found in my non-scientific "study" is I've had the more success with the way pedals using NKT transistors have reacted to my rig. My Sola Sound/Pigdog Mk1 (1xOC75 and 2xNKT OC81), Pigdog Fuzzbound (1xNKT 213, 2xNKT 213), Analogman Sunface (2xNKT MT57F) all seem to have that combination that provides that clarity and texture at the same time. In fact I've had good luck with most TO1 cased transistors (all the NKTs I mentioned have the TO1 case shape) as I have a few Skinpimps that have TO1 type AC125s combined to good effect with 2N404 transistors (and again apologies if this is all is just in my head).

I've also had great success with the Mullard OC82D and OC45 in my FS-77, the OC76 and AC107 combo in my 1966, as well as the CV7003 in my Jam Rooster Ltd.
"'Information. What's wrong with dope and women? Is it any wonder the world's gone insane, with information come to be the only real medium of exchange?' 'I thought it was cigarettes.'"