Favourite Trannie?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

innerflight

Re: Favourite Trannie?

Post by innerflight »

PlumCrazy wrote:I tend to like CV7112s, CV7003s, CV7355s, 2n1308s - sound good and are stable. NKT212s for less stable builds. For Si I like to use modern Fairchild, something about their transistors - probably in my head. Also like the button-style silicon house number & 2n4250.
Yes CV trannies sound excellent, had a couple of builds with them in, top notch :tu:

I think people can be snobby about trannies, myself included, you think it lacks in mojo or something if it isn't the "correct" one, that must be annoying if you are a builder
’brutish in character but not thug like’
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

I think it depends on how authentic you want say a replica build to be. Take the Jerms MKI for example, Jim was after a proper replica so the TI trannies were a must. Jim could've built them with other ones but wanted the replica to be as close to an original as possible.

Theres a lot of "mojo" when we as fuzz freaks look at boards that the builders make, white jacket oc81s look a lot more sexy than the metal can version, I'm sure they sound the same and the bottom line is how good does it sound. We all like "proper" trannies in our pedals , 75s in a MKII, 275s in a fuzz face etc. There's also the rarity of these trannies now, you can get a buzzaround with various trannies in it but really we want NKT 213s like the original.

We're getting to the point where all these "mojo" trannies are disappearing forcing builders to look at alternatives that sound just as good.....too many fakes and crap useless ones floating around.
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

I met some nice trannies in Thailand... Hard to pick a fav though.

Oc75s ftw :Marx:
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

I really like some of the old General Electric hockey puck ge transistors.

I've got a gold OC44 in an RM I built that sounds just as good as the yellow jackets, that is to say, mind-blowing.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
jagermonster

Post by jagermonster »

Gotta try something with a yellow jacket OC44 one of these days. See what all the fuss is about.

PlumCrazy reminded me; the 2N130* series is really badass in my limited experience.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Depends what circuit but I'm all about period correct!
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

When I had time to tinker I got to like the Russian MP38A and some of the GT series.
punkbulldog

Post by punkbulldog »

NKT275, OC 75, 81 and 84s. Love em all!
Instagram nick_1_9_7_4
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

OC75’s make great all-round transistors. Sound amazing in most vintage Ge fuzz circuits (expect for Mk-1.5 alas).
There a bunch of sweet OC71’s equivalents out there as well. Like the CV7005 the best so far.
OC42's and OC14X series are great boosters.
Whenever I need a bit more leakage I like to use some NKT212's or NKT214’s.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

My favourite fuzz has got 3 x OC82DM's in it (Pigdog Loony).