Made in Japan

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

innerflight

Re: Made in Japan

Post by innerflight »

Bumping this thread as I've got my eye on a Greco Strat from 78, SE700, looks awesome but my question is, is there a general rule in terms of one piece, two piece or three piece guitars? I think this is a three piece, does that make it inferior?
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

From my experience and knowledge

During the 70s and 80s Gibson we’re pumping out not so great guitars.
Page, mick Ralph’s, and all those British classic rock guys were still using their 50s les pauls and the 70s models just weren’t matching up.
Ibanez, burny, gretch, Tokai were all making great guitars.
As good as the 50s and 60s Gibson’s?? I doubt it but definatley better than a 70s or 80s model.
I’ve a feeling Gibson came back in the 90s. My 2001 Les paul standard was such a great guitar.

I think anything from those brands is going to be a nicer guitar from that 70s 80s period in comparison to what was available from Gibson at the time. Even possibly fender?! I’m unsure as my fender history is a little weak.

1 piece etc usually adds to the sustain of the instrument.
In Les pauls long neck tenons do also.
Usually higher quality. More money.
Epiphone use lots of woods moulded together I believe.
Could even be 5 piece? Sometimes you can see the joins.

Also choice of woods used etc.

You can get hung up on all that stuff and for someone seeking maybe period correct it would matter. Or who didn’t want to leave chance to blaming his tools for poor tone etc.

To end my ramble my Dad owns a Tokai Les Paul LS173?? Model.
Meant to be a higher range model.
Mine was a LS80. I still preferred mine over his when it was stock. Again after my mods I’d put it up against most Les pauls.

As long as that guitars not China or Korea I’m sure what ever the spec it’ll sound great
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Doc Holliday wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 pm
1 piece etc usually adds to the sustain of the instrument.
In Les pauls long neck tenons do also.
Usually higher quality. More money.
Epiphone use lots of woods moulded together I believe.
Could even be 5 piece? Sometimes you can see the joins.

Also choice of woods used etc.

You can get hung up on all that stuff and for someone seeking maybe period correct it would matter. Or who didn’t want to leave chance to blaming his tools for poor tone etc.
yeah that would be me :hihi: Na my point being, I am going to have to buy this guitar before I get to try it, obviously not great but that's the way it is sooo if in general a 3 piece is likely to be a bag of shite then I won't bother. the seller has answered all questions and even recorded a few clips for me (without asking). I don't mind a gamble, god knows i've bought and sold loads of gear over the years but if I can shorten the odds a bit :tu:
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

I don't think it makes any difference other than cost factor....Fender use multiple body pieces, maybe 3-5 on most of their production Strats outside the custom shop. As long as it's decent wood being glued together I doubt anyone could notice any difference between a one piece or five piece body. Plus if it's finished in a solid colour, how would you know anyway?

Gibson give their Les Paul bodies the Swiss hole treatment to reduce the weight and no one seems to mind....it still sounds like a Les Paul.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

It’ll probably have been cheaper to produce than it’s higher range buddy’s but I bet it still sounds killer.

I’ve a Mexican fender reverse headstock here that I love. My favourite strat I’ve ever played.
It’s no American but it plays amaze balls.

Buy it at the right price and I’m sure you could sell it on if need be.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

innerflight wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:06 pm Bumping this thread as I've got my eye on a Greco Strat from 78, SE700, looks awesome but my question is, is there a general rule in terms of one piece, two piece or three piece guitars? I think this is a three piece, does that make it inferior?
You already knew I was going to say this, but it's hard to go wrong with a Greco. I've got an SE700 from 1980 and it kills. If the deal is right, do it!
eborej

Post by eborej »

If it's a 1970's headstock that you're after then the SE-700 is the highest model with that feature. They were made by the Fujigen OEM which has had the reputation for producing quality guitars over the years. The SE-700 sold for ¥70,000 in 1978 so it wasn't priced at the low end. The stock pick-ups are Maxon PU-119 which are considered to be quite good. I believe the features changed for the SE-700 in 1979 and the spec for the body went from 3 piece to 2 piece. Here's how it looked in the 1978 Greco catalog:

HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Yeah, the 700s have the big headstocks, which I love. Mine also has a bullet truss rod and a three-bolt Micro Tilt neck that actually works as it's supposed to, unlike Fender's.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

its this one -
FE44810A-D3FF-446E-B19C-0DEBFFDBB63D.jpeg
FE44810A-D3FF-446E-B19C-0DEBFFDBB63D.jpeg (259.96 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Boughted :party:
eborej

Post by eborej »

Congratulations on the purchase. Not sure if the guitar in the picture is a 1978 model but the neck plate should have a serial number on it and the first two digits will indicate the year.