Has anyone seen a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface like this before??

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

fuzzlounge

Has anyone seen a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface like this before??

Post by fuzzlounge »

Hey guys,saw this on Ebay and thought it might make a cool restoration project, I fired Stu a wee message before buying it to see what he could suss from the worlds shittest pictures that the seller took. Since then, I've been hunting the interwebsz to find another one like it but so far seem to be coming up short :hmm:
Does it seem like an odd/rare colour?? Would the Bulgin knobs have been on it originally?

Any/all help appreciated lads,

Thanks in advance :tu:

daCod

Re: Has anyone seen a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface like this before??

Post by daCod »

:badlove:

:popcorn:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

That's a rare variant!
Yes, the Bulgins are certainly original. Presumably those transistors are non-original though? They do look like they've been messed with at least, and one would expect to see BC108C's in this model.

I'll let Electric Warrior follow up with photos of some other examples in this colour :badteeth: (because he's not only the biggest Fuzz Face nerd, by a serious margin, but is also the one that made the effort to save the pictures in the first place...)
fuzzlounge

Post by fuzzlounge »

Cheers Nick, yeah the trannies have been 'added' by the looks of the,also Stu mentioned that he thought there should be TKF BC108C's in it when him an I spoke with him. Hope you're well man?
AtomicFuzz

Post by AtomicFuzz »

I love this variant! It’s a “smooth light blue”, as compared to the more common aqua hammertone variant that popped up in that ‘69/‘70 era. It’s so odd that everything is flawless on it but the board was ripped apart. I can’t see the 25uF (or 22uF if it’s been replaced) cap well enough, but the rest of the board components aren’t original for sure. That version would have BC108c or BC130c. I know of and have seen both
This part is just me deducing from history here- but I’d bet this version was partial to overseas and European sales because they are hard to come by in the states, I’ve seen this most often in places like Japan. It could have been just a business move. That paint is cheaper and easier than the usual hammertones, so maybe it was an experiment by DAE? Either way, great find and great pictures!
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Heh, look what the cat dragged in. :badteeth:
Welcome Dustin! Your spidy sense must have been tingling when this vintage Fuzz Face thread came up, eh? It's about time you joined this little forum! (A little over 1100 of the fuzziest people on the planet; and hosted by David Main!) :tu:
Last edited by fernieite on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

AtomicFuzz wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:25 pm I love this variant! It’s a “smooth light blue”, as compared to the more common aqua hammertone variant that popped up in that ‘69/‘70 era. It’s so odd that everything is flawless on it but the board was ripped apart. I can’t see the 25uF (or 22uF if it’s been replaced) cap well enough, but the rest of the board components aren’t original for sure. That version would have BC108c or BC130c. I know of and have seen both
This part is just me deducing from history here- but I’d bet this version was partial to overseas and European sales because they are hard to come by in the states, I’ve seen this most often in places like Japan. It could have been just a business move. That paint is cheaper and easier than the usual hammertones, so maybe it was an experiment by DAE? Either way, great find and great pictures!
Welcome to the forum, second biggest Fuzz Face nerd :hihi: :tu:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

I've seen these with a couple of different part combinations. TFK BC108C would be period correct, but there is one other legit variant that I know of... the cleanest shot I have of those is from a unit with a red enclosure (no hammertone either).

I don't think I've seen the exact transistor type in the OP's pedal before. As they have been messed with, it's impossible to say if they are replacements or a rare variant. If I were to restore this, I'd keep the transistors just in case :hihi:
Everything is transitional.
fuzzlounge

Post by fuzzlounge »

AtomicFuzz wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:25 pm I love this variant! It’s a “smooth light blue”, as compared to the more common aqua hammertone variant that popped up in that ‘69/‘70 era. It’s so odd that everything is flawless on it but the board was ripped apart. I can’t see the 25uF (or 22uF if it’s been replaced) cap well enough, but the rest of the board components aren’t original for sure. That version would have BC108c or BC130c. I know of and have seen both
Thanks for the info Dustin and welcome to the forum man!!!
fuzzlounge

Post by fuzzlounge »

Cheers EW, some awesome pics and helpful info man!!!!