So . . . . . thought I'd let you guys know first

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

get_with_it
Sola Sound London

So . . . . . thought I'd let you guys know first

Post by get_with_it »

Hi DAM Forum people

Thought you should be the first to hear officially

This is really hard to say, and it shouldn't be because it's actually really quite exciting .

When lock down lifts in London there will be one certain music shop that will not be reopening .

Macari's was born back in the fifties when my Grandad moved out of show business and opened a little music shop .

My Uncle Larry became the manager of Vox in 1956 and of course famously opened the first music shop in Denmark Street with my Dad, Joe Macari in the early sixties
In 1965 the Tone Bender Fuzz was born and all this time later I suppose you could call that shop a legendary place.
I would name a few famous customers but it's stupid to start - but the list is longer than the MKII waiting list !

I remember the Denmark St shops from when I was a small boy and especially the shop at 102 Charing Cross Rd where my Dad used to take me on Saturdays

But I've spent most of my life behind the counters of Macaris at 122 and then 92 Charing Cross Rd - over 40 years in fact - longer than my Dad or Larry. Steve joined the party about 10 years later and we've run the business together ever since

NOW . . .

This isn't some sob story - we had actually decided to move on before all this lock down stuff happened. London overheads are now beyond a joke and I was working my fingers to the bone just to pay the landlord .

The most annoying thing is , we wanted to close the shop with a big bang rather than this whimper.

So that's the bad bit over with

The good news is we are now going to concentrate or energy on making Sola Sound pedals

AND of course we need a shop - can't get up in the morning without having a shop , so we're going to base ourselves out of town - somewhere easy to visit if you're over in London .

We have out eye on a little , kind of mums and dads music shop where we can sell our existing stock and over the course of the next year convert into the coolest place in the entire World . MACARIS- GUITARS AND FUZZ SHOP !

I'm actually so up for the challenge I can't sleep at night !!!

So , I'm sure everyone will know soon but I wanted you all to hear it from me so you know it's real , not some dodgy rumour.

So , thank you to everyone who's visited , drooled over the window , rocked out , and even shopped at Macari's over the last 65 years

It's time for the next chapter . . . . . . .
innerflight

Re: So . . . . . thought I'd let you guys know first

Post by innerflight »

Oh wow end of an era :shocked:

I’ll never forget my visit to Macaris where I got to meet Ant and Steve and drool over an original MKI and other amazing fuzz boxes

Onwards and upwards man, good luck with the next chapter :party:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

Wow, that's big news, but really glad the pedal side will continue!
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
Salesman

Post by Salesman »

Nothing wrong with that feels natural under the conditions.
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

great luck to you!
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

Macaris Reloaded !
Good luck for that next episode.
daCod

Post by daCod »

i'm sad and excited at the same time :headpop:

glad i was able to stop in BOTH locations a few years back. anxious to see what the new model brings!

if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Pahathuasyndicate

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

That is a shame, it will leave a real hole in that Shaftesbury Avenue/Charing Cross/Soho area. I will miss seeing you there. They’ll probably open a Starbucks there now :(
Thank you for all the years of great service. I’m very lucky to have bought some fine guitars and exquisite fuzz units.
All the best Ant :cheers:
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Somewhere small, in the country, a local shop.... for local people

Ben
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

New beginnings equates to new energy, sounds like you got in spades. Congrats man
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo