Bernard Butler First Suede Album Fuzz Tone?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

frost

Bernard Butler First Suede Album Fuzz Tone?

Post by frost »

Hi there,

Hope this is in the right forum for this topic? I'm trying to get somewhere close to Bernard Butler's fuzz tone on the first Suede album (talent aside :doh: ). I have a blackface RAT, a Turbo RAT, and a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion which get the OD tone pretty close. For fuzzes, I've tried a Solosound Mk IV Son of Green Bastard, a Pigdog Juju, and a Solasound BUM fuzz. None of them seem to get close though? Was thinking an Emanating Fist Electronics Dope Priest might get me closer with its mid-focused tones. Anyone have any ideas? I'm running them all into a AC30 type of amp using the normal channel.

Thanks!

Heiko
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Re: Bernard Butler First Suede Album Fuzz Tone?

Post by get_with_it »

I haven't listened to the album for ages - Ill dig it out . Bernard bought one of the early TC tone benders and has always had it on his board . Always comments on it when he comes in to Macaris . Also he's asked me for a Edywn Bum Fuzz AND , early days he had a vox phantom with built in effects - seem to remember him bringing it back though - wouldnt stay in tune - maybe a Vox Marauder too - sorry - long time ago - Ant
drdanny

Post by drdanny »

He used to really drive those AC30s ...
underorbit

Post by underorbit »

I recently tracked with an early 60’s AC-30 cranked and it can get pretty nasty, especially once you use any drives.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was stacked RATS on some of their tunes though.

Bernard said himself, “lots of the sounds on those records were heavily processed and closely double tracked........so it would be pretty hard to do it with just a pedal..........records are records and i dont care what you have to do to a sound to make it sound interesting.....

i think the intro to animal nitrate was a rickenbacker.......probably with a rat and ac30 or a boss turbo distortion.......on stay together i used a toy fender bassman for some of the parts.........otherwise it was my 355 and ac30with erm.......a rat ...........i have lots of them and i use which ever one has a battery that works.........i also use the colorsound tonebender.........”
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Double tracking fuzz guitar can massively alter the tone on record. Sometimes you get a much more distorted sound than you expect. The Animal Nitrate tone Could easily be a double tracked TC Tonebender with the fuzz knob backed off a fair bit.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
mopfloyd

Post by mopfloyd »

Always enjoyed this ...

https://youtu.be/hexMs1VuwMY
Spook

Post by Spook »

I fekkin loved that album, great memories of drugs 'n rocknroll
:pazuzu: