Original 60's VOX TONE BENDER help needed :)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

drdanny

Re: Original 60's VOX TONE BENDER help needed :)

Post by drdanny »

vanguard wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:34 pm It's earlier, judging from the plate layout. Are there codes on the pots?

Regarding others insisting it's an MK1.5, as you suspected, they're wrong. Yours is an early Italian unit that, while sharing a (nearly identical) circuit with the Sola 1.5, is not a Sola 1.5.

I'm in no way an authority on this, but given what you've shared so far, it's probably second gen (after the OC76 run).
There are no codes on the pots I'm afraid - they have ICAR written on them

Thanks for your comments
drdanny

Post by drdanny »

[/quote]

As I told you on TGP, a pedal with a similar board came with an original Thomas Organ hang tag, dating it to 13 Nov 1967. The only difference is the type of resistors used.

Tan colored resistors were used in earlier and later units than the pedal with the tag (as evidenced by serial numbers). Some of the later pedals don't have serial numbers, I think they stopped using them at some point. So I guess yours would probably be later than 13 Nov 1967.

Early units are referred to as "Model 50", later ones like yours were labeled V828 on the hang tag.
[/quote]

Cheers
drdanny

Post by drdanny »

charge wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:10 pm Agreed. Probably late 67/early 68? I have one identical to yours with the sft transistors, tropical fish cap, and faint red stamp/initials. The guy I got it from won it in a battle of the bands contest in early 1968.
Brilliant - thanks for that