Boss / Sola ... really?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

redeyeflight

Re: Boss / Sola ... really?

Post by redeyeflight »

What transistors are in these? Someone needs to post a gut shot!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

Spotted on IG. A superb MKII, loving it!

~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
univalve

Post by univalve »

Mine arrived on thursday from Thomann. Sounds really good and very close to the DAM MKII from 2019.
simonm

Post by simonm »

redeyeflight wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 pm What transistors are in these? Someone needs to post a gut shot!
2N404 iirc
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

90% of these went straight onto Reverb for 3 grand right?
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

I don’t really think it sounds like my #91 OC84 Sola, were those tuned differently over time? Not a complaint by any means, but surprised some people are saying they are similar.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I’m really surprised by how good it is, very impressive job by Boss. It’s pretty similar to Pigdog mk2 (OC82D green jackets) in a very quick comparison.
pagan

Post by pagan »

It would be interesting to know what all the extra components are for. Just power and buffer circuits?
Instagram @paganfuzz
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

tigerdriver wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:18 pm I don’t really think it sounds like my #91 OC84 Sola, were those tuned differently over time? Not a complaint by any means, but surprised some people are saying they are similar.
I’ve owned the OC84 Sola, I think the Boss sounds more like my OC75 DAM, very close in fact...the OC84 was darker, the OC75 equipped DAM has more cut.
~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

devnulljp wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:16 pm 90% of these went straight onto Reverb for 3 grand right?
I guess I should have bought one when I had a chance. I thought that I would be able to get one on the second-hand market for at least the original cost or less. The cheapest listing I saw was about 800 or so on Reverb.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty