Boss / Sola ... really?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

superslidetail

Re: Boss / Sola ... really?

Post by superslidetail »

Oh they charged your card already? I figured they wouldn't do that until it ships. :hmm:

Edit: Just got the back ordered email :bangs head:
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
pothole

Post by pothole »

superslidetail wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:54 pm Oh they charged your card already? I figured they wouldn't do that until it ships. :hmm:

I just called Zzounds. We are in for the preorder shipment they are getting in, so if you were able to get one in your cart and pay for it, you're in. Backorder and Preorder means the same thing in their system. You can't even put one in your cart now. I probably got the last one from them, thanks for the tip SuperSlide!
tonebender.PNG
tonebender.PNG (487.7 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

well . . . i had no idea that was going to happen !!!

so , just to answer my critics - ahem . . . the launch time was set by Boss Europe BUT I thought they'd sell out over . . . a week . . not an hour !!!!

I was actually a little worried , as 90% of our customers are from the USA , that they'd all buy in the States and I might actually find these sitting on the shelf - shows how much I know !

They sold at over 1 a minute

re : the price 250 pounds ( + tax and shipping ) - i really thought it was ok . No ones making a great deal of money . Boss making 3000 units after spending 2 and a half years developing it is a lousy return and we are just getting a licence fee - its not a money spinner - it was just about doing something cool

I really hope that they don;t end up with guys who will flip them . The good news is that almost everyone who bought one at Macaris was a repeat customer - a proper fuzz head - so fingers crossed .

I just think that that fact that a DAM made Sola Sound MKII will be sitting in a museum of pedals in Japan is reward in itself - in fact that ITS TOTALLY FUCKING COOL !!! :freakout:

Sorry - its been a really long day :)

I'm sorry if anyone who wanted one didnt get one

hopefully the second hand market will be kind

rock on

Ant
Francus1971

Post by Francus1971 »

2 years and a half to develop? Isn’t a modern version of a pedal from the sixties ? Did someone use a delorean to go back to 1966 and find right trannies?
Ok, we’re all fuzz addictded, but not so naive

Not a problem to call it as it should , business , 3k units X 350€ e@ch is .... a lot of money , hats off
underorbit

Post by underorbit »

Wonder how many people are gonna hang on to these. Was form factor the only thing holding people back from a MkII? Prolly helped how TB pedal hype seems high right now.
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

pothole wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:39 pm
superslidetail wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:54 pm Oh they charged your card already? I figured they wouldn't do that until it ships. :hmm:

I just called Zzounds. We are in for the preorder shipment they are getting in, so if you were able to get one in your cart and pay for it, you're in. Backorder and Preorder means the same thing in their system. You can't even put one in your cart now. I probably got the last one from them, thanks for the tip SuperSlide!
Awesome, good to hear! Yea sounds like others on TGP ordered around the same time and got cancellation emails about an hour or so after they ordered so it sounds like we're in the clear.

I haven't had a tonebender fuzz in a while and honestly have started to drift away from vintage fuzzes after going through a bunch of them over the years. I'm usually more of a fuzz face guy but yea the modernity, form factor and the fact that I'm a bigger sucker for MIJ pedals/guitars. :lol:
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Hmmm - interesting reading

I would never call anyone naiive - see i can;t even spell it !

But business ??

no way - if so it's probably the worst bit of business Boss have ever done . Remember they get no where near 350 per unit - that's what the dealer and the tax man mark it up to - Boss will get about a third of that before development costs and building - they will be lucky to break even on this .

Macaris just get a licencing fee

This was not about making money

It was about Boss making something with heritage , and for me it was about getting the Sola Sound name out there and talked about - especially in Japan . Something neither company could do on its own .

I dont actually remember discussing money at any point - even when i signed a contract with them did we discuss a price and at every stage there was an understanding that if it wasn't good enough , the project would not go ahead - really - you should have been there - we ate spaghetti , drank some wine and talked about music - we never talked about money .

re : two and a half years - what can i say - i gave them one of Dave's Sola mkiis - two and a half years later they turned up with a pedal !!!

I think the whole way a Boss pedal has to perform is quite different to what we expect from a 2021 Sola Sound unit or the pedals we're used to buying . The testing is incredibly extreme and each pedal has to sound 100% the same - i thnk thats what took so long . Sure to make a mkii wouldnt have taken long but to get an electronic device up to those standards is a different story . Theres one test they do where the pedal is taken down to something like -30 and then up to some crazy heat whilst on this vibrating tray - and it gets shaken for 48 hours - it simulation some sort of Siberian rail journey . so . . .ok 2 and a half years - maybe there was a signal failure - i dont know - but that's how long it took . I suppose they were doing a few other things at the same time . .

:)
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Hmmm - interesting reading

I would never call anyone naiive - see i can;t even spell it !

But business ??

no way - if so it's probably the worst bit of business Boss have ever done . Remember they get no where near 350 per unit - that's what the dealer and the tax man mark it up to - Boss will get about a third of that before development costs and building - they will be lucky to break even on this .

Macaris just get a licencing fee

This was not about making money

It was about Boss making something with heritage , and for me it was about getting the Sola Sound name out there and talked about - especially in Japan . Something neither company could do on its own .

I dont actually remember discussing money at any point - even when i signed a contract with them did we discuss a price and at every stage there was an understanding that if it wasn't good enough , the project would not go ahead - really - you should have been there - we ate spaghetti , drank some wine and talked about music - we never talked about money .

re : two and a half years - what can i say - i gave them one of Dave's Sola mkiis - two and a half years later they turned up with a pedal !!!

I think the whole way a Boss pedal has to perform is quite different to what we expect from a 2021 Sola Sound unit or the pedals we're used to buying . The testing is incredibly extreme and each pedal has to sound 100% the same - i thnk thats what took so long . Sure to make a mkii wouldnt have taken long but to get an electronic device up to those standards is a different story . Theres one test they do where the pedal is taken down to something like -30 and then up to some crazy heat whilst on this vibrating tray - and it gets shaken for 48 hours - it simulation some sort of Siberian rail journey . so . . .ok 2 and a half years - maybe there was a signal failure - i dont know - but that's how long it took . I suppose they were doing a few other things at the same time . .

:)

I know the pedal has sold out but I'd hate you to think I had !!!!!
Francus1971

Post by Francus1971 »

Business or whatever it could be/name, hope you get what you want

Do not care Who will gain more or less from this operation, surely i prefer the house where fuzz was born, where I bought a real bender some years ago
I thought i ‘d buy a tb2w, but not at this conditions, and believe me the worst thing (for me ) in this operation is the limited number of pedals . The price is too high too , but this limited number has made me hungrier than anything else

In the end balance is really positive for sola.. lost a naive fuzz addicted like me, but will gain a lot of new customer and popolarity

Well done
Sentenced

Post by Sentenced »

get_with_it wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:47 pm
I know the pedal has sold out
but I'd hate you to think I had !!!!!
Some big stores in Europe still accept people's money for it online, though I can't really tell for sure if they'll be able to actually deliver one sometime. If they have arelatively good software/inventory tracking they probably will. Some of them are also being conservative with it and will get some additional units after the preorder.