Amps that work well with fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

windjamma

Re: Amps that work well with fuzz

Post by windjamma »

I agree with Tony. Most amps are great with fuzz, but you do need to tailor them i find. For instance, a D*A*M 1966 is probably to bright for me with a Fender super reverb, in 66 mode. And a Fuzz face can be too wooly into something like a Marshall Bluesbreaker, which has a lot of Bottom end. so you may need to keep the bass low.

Bright caps are also a pain, or a godsend to some people.

Experiment and enjoy.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 pm Possibly severely unpopular opinion here, but I dont like the concept of a model of amp, or even brand of amp that universally "works well with fuzz". There are soooo many variables at play with that general of a statement. What guitar? What fuzz? Who defines what working "well" is? I'd think the more direct question is 'What are your favorite amp/fuzz combinations?' I've never met an amp that I couldnt enjoy some kind of fuzz through.
Not unpopular at all, Tony. When you're right, you're right - and you couldn't be more right. If you can't make a particular combination work, try harder. Or try a different combination. :badteeth:
so&so

Post by so&so »

I think in controlled environments, like recording or playing alone, just about any combination can work with a little guitar control twiddling.
simonm

Post by simonm »

i would add that pedals vary as much as amps and guitars, so there are no rules at all. you have to experiment. impedance and stuff.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

I ended up buying a Boogie Single Rectifier for a good price, always wanted one for the chug.

The clean channel sounds great with fuzz when you push the preamp.

Lovely amp, more versatile than I thought!
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
ZaidAli95

Post by ZaidAli95 »

I’ve tried dr z, Marshall jmp, orange or120, hi watt dr103, Marshalls work the best. Green backs are the way to go
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Not an amp per se, but having just moved into an apartment I can safely say that the Strymon Iridium amp sim and cab IR pedal handles fuzz like a champ, and reacts like a real amp would (can't say that for many amp-in-a-box pedals!!)

Ben
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Laservampire wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:12 am Not an amp per se, but having just moved into an apartment I can safely say that the Strymon Iridium amp sim and cab IR pedal handles fuzz like a champ, and reacts like a real amp would (can't say that for many amp-in-a-box pedals!!)

Wow! Nice Les Paul! What is it?
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

Dullboy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:13 am Wow! Nice Les Paul! What is it?
Yeah! P90 and MkI is glorious
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Dullboy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:13 am Wow! Nice Les Paul! What is it?
One of these: https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USA2KP357 ... /TV-Yellow

Took ages to find a good one, I've played a bunch of post-COVID 2020 made ones and they have been trash (poor finishing, heavy wood etc etc) but this 2019 one is 7 pounds even and rings like a bell!
Ben