Amps that work well with fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Bigfoot2000

Amps that work well with fuzz

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

What amps are you all rocking?

I haven’t had many amps but I find that a lot of them are quite picky with fuzzers. Currently running things into a JCM800 into a 2x12 with v30s and it sounds really good but I’ve been eyeing up a few other amps for a bit of variety and might save up for a new head in 2021.

Tempted by Matamp and Orange, Vox, but the last Orange amp I had didn’t take fuzz well at all (OR15).
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
daCod

Re: Amps that work well with fuzz

Post by daCod »

My go-to two - HITONE DR103 and Mesa Boogie Studio Pre into a Boogie 50/50 stereo power amp.

Also 2 Traynor heads - TS140 and TS50 :headpop: which I will be letting go of. Trimming shit down in 2021 :marx:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Matamp and Meat

That is all
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Lach

Post by Lach »

Sovtek Mig-50 at band praccy has been killer, I love it with more treble heavy Ge fuzzers.
At home I'm using a Marshall Origin 50 that switches down to 5w, it's been great for a low budget home option, sounds great with fuzz in that context.
Bass wise I use an early 70's Carvin PA through an Ampeg 8x10 with a Greco Ric copy through an Elk Sustainar.. massive....
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Some lovely looking amps being used, would love to try a HiWatt type amp. Never had the opportunity. The Sovtek stuff looks solid as fuck. Decent used prices but doesn’t often come up in the UK.

What Matamps are best for fuzz? I keep seeing mini mat heads come up on evilbay, can then handle it?

Eyeing up a Boogie single rectifier as we speak, always wanted a recto for the modern hi gain sound, might have to pull the trigger, they’re so versatile
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Yes, Minimats can run pretty clean so eat up the fuzz, the good thing about my version (4 knob, below) is the gain channel so sound awesome with fuzz that prefer dirtier amps
00F99EF5-0ADD-455D-8C5F-4C5E34397B57.jpeg
00F99EF5-0ADD-455D-8C5F-4C5E34397B57.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2644 times
I also had a DR Z for years and they really like the fuzz
Last edited by innerflight on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Trainwreck

Post by Trainwreck »

Nice!!!!
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Nice tolex!

This is the thing I’ve found about some amps, they’re mostly all ok when the amp is clean, but when it’s dirty some of them HATE fuzz. Good to know Matamp isn’t like the new Orange amps in that regard.

Always been interested in Dr Z too, watched a lot of Gearmanndude videos haha

There are a couple of mini mats, a Maz18 head and some nice Recto Solo 50 amps on reverb and ebay at the moment argh
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

One amp that sounds REALLY GOOD with a fuzz is my 59 Gibson GA-5 Skylark. I play it all the time in my apartment. And even at low volumes it sounds fantastic with a fuzz! (Especially with my grey Vox Tone Bender or Fuzz Faces + tele or junior) :badlove:

It always surprises me that a small champ like 4 or 5 watt amp can sound that great with a fuzz; but it does...
Last edited by fernieite on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Possibly severely unpopular opinion here, but I dont like the concept of a model of amp, or even brand of amp that universally "works well with fuzz". There are soooo many variables at play with that general of a statement. What guitar? What fuzz? Who defines what working "well" is? I'd think the more direct question is 'What are your favorite amp/fuzz combinations?' I've never met an amp that I couldnt enjoy some kind of fuzz through.