Do I need a Fuzz Face or Vox TB?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Gary

Re: Do I need a Fuzz Face or Vox TB?

Post by Gary »

Here's the "Continental". It sounds so good. The top toggle is a battery on/off which is super handy. Front toggle is a bass boost but honestly there's plenty in it at the stock setting for my usage. Side knob is a bias adjustment.

It's the fuzz sound I have in my head only in a stompbox. All for basically no money at all.

Hopefully these pics turn out ok as doing this on a mobile.
Attachments
20210821_132524.jpg
20210821_132524.jpg (372.95 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
20210821_132503.jpg
20210821_132503.jpg (315.5 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
20210821_132457.jpg
20210821_132457.jpg (291.39 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
20210821_132445.jpg
20210821_132445.jpg (256.64 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Nice! Jimmy does very good work. :tu:
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

He really does, I don’t know why he doesn’t post here any more. I think it was because of the. NKT 275 thing that people thought where fake.
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
simonm

Post by simonm »

Gary wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:41 pm Here's the "Continental". It sounds so good. The top toggle is a battery on/off which is super handy. Front toggle is a bass boost but honestly there's plenty in it at the stock setting for my usage. Side knob is a bias adjustment.

It's the fuzz sound I have in my head only in a stompbox. All for basically no money at all.

Hopefully these pics turn out ok as doing this on a mobile.
Looks great!
what transistors are in there?
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hey Simonm - This one has SFT307 and SFT308.
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

My favorite Fuzz Faces are the warmer Silicon varieties, I like the way the bottom end caves in and sags without getting too big/boomy. Recently got a Castledine Oltretomba Vox TB that I'm still figuring out, it's more pokey in the midrange, lean and mean! My Ge Mk1.5 experience is limited to a special "daughter" Matilda TB but it's kind of the Goldilocks between the 3 for me. Cuts a bit of the FF bottom out while still being fairly full-bodied.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good shout! I never even thought of a silicon Fuzz Face when looking at options. Glad I went with the Vox TB for now but I'll definitely keep the Si FF in mind. The bass boost switch on Jimmy's version has been getting more of a run recently but I tend to back off the fuzz a touch when using the boost.

That Castledine looks great and it does sound a bit more raspy and cutting but in a really musical way. Good score.
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

Gary wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:26 am Good shout! I never even thought of a silicon Fuzz Face when looking at options. Glad I went with the Vox TB for now but I'll definitely keep the Si FF in mind. The bass boost switch on Jimmy's version has been getting more of a run recently but I tend to back off the fuzz a touch when using the boost.

That Castledine looks great and it does sound a bit more raspy and cutting but in a really musical way. Good score.
Absolutely! BC183 is my go-to for that, ala Eric Johnson, but I also went with a pair of BC130 transistors for my Ivor Fuzz Face because the fella from "Deepers View" (Yoshi?) said in a Earthquaker Devices YouTube video interview that they're his favorite Silicon transistors for a FF. Took a leap of faith as it's a rarer choice but I love it. When biased around 3.5v they still do that saggy/caving in thing I love with BC183, but with some more clarity up top without being unpleasantly bright or edgy. Perhaps more likely to do with the quality of the Ivor build though! :badteeth:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues