Aclam Dr. Robert pedal?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Space_Case

Re: Aclam Dr. Robert pedal?

Post by Space_Case »

Haven't tried the Dr Robert, but I'm a big fan of my Magical Mystery Box, especially with the mid-ranged boost engaged (basically a 3 position cocked wah switch, proper inductor and all). I do think that amp in a box stuff can be very hit or miss though, and can be a bit more dependent on what you are trying to get out of it along with sometimes being less intuitive to use if you're used to only using normal ODs. For example I don't have experience with a Vox conqueror series amp to know whether the MMB into my AC30 really gets close, but I do really like the sounds and feel I can get from the MMB. Plus it's distortion section is a two transistor germanium fuzz (though decidedly not a fuzz face style one), so it's got that going for it as well.

My guess is that when done right you can use amp in a box pedals to give a bit of headroom and different pre-amp characteristics to your sound without needing to change your amp without it necessarily being another compressed overdrive signal in your chain. MMB biased post aside I'd imagine the Dr Robert does a great job and would no doubt be a great sonic tool as long as people come at it with the that approach or are looking for that kind of effect.

Last thing is that I think that sometimes a lot of amp in a box pedals have been held back by a lot of the early ones which came out, as a lot of those wouldn't have gone to the lengths that builders like Castledine and Aclam have gone to (for example potentially replicating large parts of the actual pre-amp circuits in their pedal design), and as such people probably got some bad tastes in their mouth which might've lingered and led to less exploration of these types of pedals. Also I could totally be wrong sooo... there's that too :lol:
"'Information. What's wrong with dope and women? Is it any wonder the world's gone insane, with information come to be the only real medium of exchange?' 'I thought it was cigarettes.'"