NAD 1965 Traynor YBA-1

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

fernieite

NAD 1965 Traynor YBA-1

Post by fernieite »

I was able to get this 1965 Bass-Master amp a couple of days ago from Kijiji! I've been wanting one for years. I cleaned it up and have some photos to share. It's still apart, since I'll be taking it to my amp tech for a servicing later today.

I think it's completely stock, right down to the Made in GT. Britain Rogers tubes and the two prong cord! All of the pots are dated the 12 week of 1965. :party:

This thing was DIRTY! I had to do four cleanings of the cabinet to get all of the dirt off!

Years ago, an American amp cabinet restorer, Gregg Hopkins, recommended to me to use Tuff Stuff spray on foam cleaner and a soft bristle brush for tolex. He also recommended Oz Cream Polish to finish it off. I've used this combination on a few of my amps with very good results. :cool:

The amp also came with an old Peavey 210 speaker cabinet. (Pictured behind and to the left of the amp)

Btw, does anyone have a couple of old Traynor chicken-head knobs kicking around in the parts bin? (Japan)

IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG (471.25 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0827.JPG (421.01 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG (451.98 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG (529.58 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Last edited by fernieite on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
2guests

Re: NAD 1966 Traynor YBA-1

Post by 2guests »

Very nice! Those are fun amps.
"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

Look at that iron! :badlove:
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Zacharia Matilda wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:46 pm Look at that iron! :badlove:
Yeah, go BIG, or go home! :badteeth:

This one is quite an early amp - serial # 0141. Its a very close circuit to a tweed Bassman/ JTM45. (with bigger iron)

I believe this one originally had a tube rectifier, but was later switched to the diode board rectifier. (now a black eyelet board) There is a crude metal plate covering the hole where the tube rectifier would have been. Traynor had a service bulletin put out that recommended this "upgrade". Traynor would have changed the output tubes to 6CA7's (EL34) and put a new tube chart in at the same time.

All of this, along with the serial number, the early style bottom fold-over metal corner protectors, brown phenolic turret board, Mallory caps, and early 1965 pot dates, lead me to believe that it's a 1965.

Well, I guess it's not so bad living in Traynorland (Toronto) sometimes! :hihi:
Last edited by fernieite on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

This is going to be a fun one. Can't wait to see it after the service!
rootfifthoctave

Re: NAD 1965 Traynor YBA-1

Post by rootfifthoctave »

get that old mustard cap out, fresh caps in, and that thing will rumble!

the traynor owners facebook group is sometimes a good source for spares/repro parts
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

The guy who works on my amps and guitars ( https://kennebecinstrument.com/ ) who has played just about any type of amp you think of has 2 of them. They are his favorite amps, and the guy knows his shit. They have the sound, and yours is going to sound amazing, I’m sure. :house:

Keep us posted!
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

rootfifthoctave wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:33 pm get that old mustard cap out, fresh caps in, and that thing will rumble!

the traynor owners facebook group is sometimes a good source for spares/repro parts
Thanks guys! :tu:

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on joining facebook. I'm not on Instagram or twitter, etc either. My loss this time, I guess.

I am on the Guitars Canada forum though, and there are (as you would expect) lots of Traynor experts there too.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

rootfifthoctave wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:33 pm get that old mustard cap out, fresh caps in, and that thing will rumble!

I’m with you sir, some of those old caps just need to be replaced, it’s not a bad thing at all. In fact, like u said, it’ll take it to the next level. Enjoy in good health
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."