66' mosrite fuzzrite (data dump)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

professor plum

Re: 66' mosrite fuzzrite (data dump)

Post by professor plum »

psycho*daisies wrote:
jerms wrote:
redeyeflight wrote:that rosac looks great! Are the controls different than the regular mosrite? How different is the tone between the germainum and silicon versions of the moserite? The circuits sure look different!!
the controls are exactly the same as the Fuzzrite.... volume and fuzz.... this one sounds really great!! nice and fat with great sustain! you can even palm mute and get a chunky metal sound with it!! the circuits are somewhat different but they both have the same type of controls. they all sound a bit different... the germaniums seem a bit more compressed and fuzzy great for single note stuff, while the silicons are less compressed and a bit more focused in the low end.
well put, Jim.

...that Rosac looks soo cool! :crackjam:

my new set up for the 60's garage groop:
Kevin's Shin Ei FY-2 clone ->Ge Fuzzrite ->DAM Rooster->'62 Reverb tank & Bandmaster...I'm really diggin it!

The FY-2 doesn't have a lot of fuzz-volume (fuzzroom?), so the Rooster kicks it up a notch (adding bite) & then when i want the full monty, step on the Fuzzrite and it gets all midrangey/cocked-wah'ish-like the gnarly side of an FY-6...and the Fuzzrite's Depth knob becomes dynamic/interactive.

A simple set-up, but super versatile & perfect for that type of music...
this set up is both rad and drool-worthy. <3
analog love <3/
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

DiscoFreq wrote:I wonder how long they worked on each batch: psycho*daisies' Sprague has "68 41" printed on it (41st week of 1968?), the Sprague pictures on my site are "68 28", so did Sprague work that long on 1 batch or are these 2 batches? More Sprague module pictures could help ;)
here's some pics of my two Sprague modules. Both pedals have the same pot code: 1346809 -- so March 68.

1968 Mosrite Fuzzrite
Module code:
68 21 <---week21 1968
1 23 46 <---what's this mean?
Pot code: 1346809

1968 Guild Foxey Lady / Fuzzrite Sprague
Module code:
68 28 <---week28 1968
1 23 45
Pot code: 1346809

I also have a pair of Si Fuzzrites on the phenolic board with masking tape, both with pot codes from 9 weeks later: 1346818.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

Thanks!

The "1 23 46" is just the numbering of the "feet", some have "1 23 45" others have "1 23 456", like this Rosac Nu-Wa Fuzz (where "5" is not used):
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

devnulljp wrote:I think I have this one now -- cost me a bit more than a song though :gripe:
Hope you didn't have to pay too much...I paid $200 for it nearly 3-4 years ago (...has it been that long?) I liked that pedal it has a nice harmonicly rich fuzz, it was a bit 'tame' for my tastes...? Though, I traded it with some other stuff for another 2 transistor circuit fuzz from 1966, except British SolaSound made...
I never could find any dates on that pedal and I never tried to pry those Vox knobs off and try to look at every part of the pot for a date code. I assume it is an early Mosrite pedal from it's construction. Definitely, my guess would be, one of the first(?) from 66. Mostly, by the way it faces out, no obscuring of any components, like subsequent builds seem to get more and more 'secret'...
So, from my understanding, the Mosrite Fuzz circuit is totally different from any other early circuit? Isn't the circuit from 1962? Maybe that one could be super early ???
Makes me real glad it went 'down the line' to someone who will appreciate it and is giving it a good new home!!
:tu:
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Just got this one too. Ge Fuzzrite from 1966
Q1: RCA 2N2613
Q2: RCA 2N408
Pot codes: 1346647, so Nov 1966, CentraLab pots
Rusty as fuck, sounds filthy, I love it. Seems to have been covered in some kind of lacquer (?) that's peeled and peeling off, and the lettering is applied over the lacquer. Weird.
0.05 uF flat ceramic caps, unlike my other one, which has the 0.1 uF film caps. This one;s a big more nasally sounding.
Can't make out the value on the Ducati cap -- all I can see is a voltage rating: "12/15V"
The only visual difference I can see from the outside between the Ge and later Fuzzrites is the lack of the (R) symbol on the earlier ones. This one has the shorter knobs, but they look like the guitar Vol and Tone knobs marked with "V" and "T" so I doubt if they're original. They're also not as rusted up as the rest of the case, so could easily be later additions.

Link to the whole album (PM me if you need the guest password)

Last edited by devnulljp on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dear Bongo, No.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Nice one! I think those are the original knobs. There's another early one with the finish all shitty. The uglier, the better sounding, it seems!

I was comparing mine yesterday. (i know the circuits are different) but The Depth is much more interactive and usable at all stages on the Ge one, while the Si one pretty much only has usable sounds with the Depth turned up all the way (brightest setting). In which it's tone is much more brassy. The Ge model is a bit more muddy and midrangey, but sings soo nicely (great bloom & harmonics). I've been using that one with the groop for a while but gonna try the Si one tomorrow night's gig; I think that brassy tone will cut through nicely (a bit more clear and trebly),,...
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Just picked this up from the PO.
Ge Fuzzrite (my third, only 247 left in the wild)

Short V/T knobs (off the guitars)

1966 pot codes

The board is the 'standard' way round, with the components facing inward.

Big ass .1uF (polypropylene? mica?) caps -- I have one other early one with these and I've seen others too (jerms has one I think), so I'm pretty sure they're stock. It sounds pretty huge.
Although one of my other Ge's has 0.05uF ceramic caps.

Q1: 2n2613 Q2: 2n408
Missing the battery door, so if you have any ideas ?
Dear Bongo, No.
DiscoFreq

Re:

Post by DiscoFreq »

Nice!

I still have to find one for a good price...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
devnulljp

Re: Re:

Post by devnulljp »

DiscoFreq wrote:Nice!

I still have to find one for a good price...
I missed one a month or so ago that went for $180 :doh:
I got a pretty good deal on this one though.
I just emailed Andy Mosely and it looks like he might have a battery door for me \o/
Dear Bongo, No.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Here's something odd -- this is a Si Fuzzrite w/ a pair of TZ82s and 0.05 uF flat ceramic caps.
1968 pot codes, but with the switch running through the board like the earlier Ge Fuzzrites.
Never seen that before. Anyone else?
Also has the short V/T knobs off the guitars like the early ones.

Dear Bongo, No.