Page Fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

lz_69

Re: Page Fuzz

Post by lz_69 »

Just thought I would add thing; well I've got a mag with an interview with both Page and Beck and it mentioned Roger Mayer fuzz box, Mainly that he made one for Jimmy, one for Jeff and also one for the guitarist from the Pretty Things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olHSpJlB ... re=related
Cado

Post by Cado »

:cheers: lz, thanks for adding that! So then it's the Mayer fuzz that's all over the "Get The Picture" album.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

:o wow. that is Bad sounding FUZZ. !!

more like GE Fuzzrite?? No?
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Cado wrote::cheers: lz, thanks for adding that! So then it's the Mayer fuzz that's all over the "Get The Picture" album.
Hmm...interesting, I thought it was a SS MKI...

I think i still do, until we find out more about these 3 elusive Mayer custom fuzzes...(IF we ever do)

PS: after hearing the "Circles" by The Fleur De Lys, again, i'm thinking it's just guitar straight into an overdriven amp....What do you guys think? I guess there could be fuzz there, but if so, it's pretty subtle...the real feature is Jim's lightning-fast solo...

No fuzz by him on Baby Please Don't Go by Them, '64...more great riffing, though...

Another bit of trivia is that Shel Talmy hired Page as session guitarist for Can't Explain/Who session, but Pete wouldn't let him use his fuzz pedal!! haha...so Page isn't on there, but he can be heard in a few licks at the end of the flip side, Bald Headed Woman....
(Pete's fuzz was probably a MKI, i'm pretty sure he used one on Call Me Lightning (one version, at least))

Re: Circles; --Killer Page solo, eh? too bad the singer botched it TWICE! (he comes in late after the solo, should be on the "one" but he sings it on the "two" ...".......Time, will tell if i take the homeward track..." God I hate that!! It kills it for me, every time i hear it...

The drummer's good, like how he builds up with the solo...but he's no Keith Moon! :twisted:

PS: That dancing Canadian dude in the video annoys me, even if he has good taste in music...
i keep running across that doofus on Youtube...
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
tatter

Post by tatter »

Bump for Poorbob: Are you able to get photos of the page clone your friend had built?
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
Cado

Post by Cado »

SHIT! I forgot about that ad. The guitar tone on Circles is a bit odd, I don't know either. I prefer The Who's version. The thing that gets me is when I borrowed Cubba's 1965, I wasn't able to get the "Get The Picture" Guitar sounds. (Pause) I just checked out some of the fuzz tones on "SF Sorrow" they sound more like a MKI to me. Has anyone gotten different results from their 1965, or actual MKI?
tatter

Post by tatter »

I suppose it's also important to note that there are a few variations of the MKI out there. The 2 schematics that the Captain posted in Tinkerers Corner are different. (From what i remember) the D*A*M 1965 is based on the later Sola Sounds version. The earlier schematic is apparently even more FZ-1 like.

Dave should do another run of 1965's but using the earlier circuit, anyone agree? :freakout:

From the Tone Bender History Page:
The slightly earlier model with the dry letter labelling has much more of a FZ-1 character to the tone and is very reminiscent of Jeff Beck's use of a MKI on tracks such as "Heartful of Soul" The silk screened model is much more focused and tighter sounding, you can defiantly hear how the circuit has been refined and tuned from one pedal to the next. This MKI is classic Mick Ronson fuzz through and through. The output level is well over double that of the other MKI and when correctly dialled in has fierce amounts sustain with truly astounding clarity for such an old device.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
the_original_mr_nice

Post by the_original_mr_nice »

tatter wrote:Dave should do another run of 1965's but using the earlier circuit, anyone agree? :freakout:
The earlier version of the circuit sounds a top idea - not sure that it should be called the 1965 - any suggestions for an apt name ?
the_original_mr_nice

Post by the_original_mr_nice »

Sickle wrote:The Whatsit?
Or for the impact it would have had at the time when people first heard it, "The What(thefuck)sit" ? :lol:
Mr. Maestro

Post by Mr. Maestro »

tatter wrote:Dave should do another run of 1965's but using the earlier circuit, anyone agree? :freakout:
That's the best idea I've ever heard! :badlove: :fu: :cthulhu:

I think I just soiled myself. :oops: