2 trannie/9V version of Sekova wedge fuzz (Data Dump)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

devnulljp

Re: 2 trannie/9V version of Sekova wedge fuzz (Data Dump)

Post by devnulljp »

Thanks to analogguru fo ID'ing my wedge fuzz.
Wondering if I should post more pics here seeing as this is the 3 trannie v2 version not the 2 trannie version?
Any interest in that (I already sent some to analogguru)?

Anyone have soundclips of the different versions? It's a kinda harsh fuzz, really sensitive to picking dynamic; hit it hard and it really grinds and barks...what do yours sound like?

BTW, what do you mean by "I am suspecting that (at least) the Fuzz/Attack potentiometer could be configured like in the Mica Wailer"? I have one of those and it seems to be the same setup, but not sure what to look for.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
simonm

Post by simonm »

I'm interested in the 3 tranny Fuzztone knock-off version, and any other of the early Fuzztone variations - i decided I don't really like the one I started this thread with that much, but I like the enclosure so will probably keep it for now.

The 9V 2 tran version sounds like something more in the Shin-Ei FY-2 vein than the raspy gated Maestro sound I love. I don't have any time to do clips at the moment though.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

So...how much are these things worth on the open market?
I'm toying with selling off a few things and I have no idea what this is worth...especially after the shocker of that Big Muff clone selling in the $700+ bracket.
Last wedge I saw on ebay went for $50, but it was knackered.
That's a pretty big range for the same manufacturer...
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
thomasdf

Post by thomasdf »

Hi folks! I just registered because I recently had a Sekova wedge fuzz, appears to be the 3rd version, because it has this PCB and components: download/file.php?id=465

I like the gritty sound of it, but I think it lacks mids a LOT. What kind of mod can I do to have a more meatier and fuller sound? I know the vintage value and mojo of the unit and I intend to respect it, but I just need more mids. I also realizes that I liked the sound better when my Telecaster volume pot was rolled off a bit, and with the fuzz setting somewhere between 8 and 9 instead of 10... (brings back some low end)

So, in a few words, I'd like to get back some mids (I love mids!) and also put a resistor on the input lead to lower the level in that lil beast. Can I get the tone I'm looking for by simply swaping the 27k resistors with 33k and the 5k6 resistors with a 4k7? Is there an "output cap" mod like on the Maestro that helps to solve the volume drop?

Thanks for you help, and keep up the great work

Thomas
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

You could add more mids by attaching another cap in parallel with "C8". The size depends on how much mids you want back. Could try a .0022 and go up from there. If there's enough lead showing on the cap legs you might be able to do it without soldering. Don't start hacking the pedal apart or desoldering stuff. Would make more sense to just build one from scratch and make it sound the way you want it than to devalue your vintage unit in my opinion.
I'm going to have to try this one out.
thomasdf

Post by thomasdf »

Ok, thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about that cap stuff but knew it was about something like this.
I'd also like to lower the lever in the unit, can I put something like a 100k resistor on the hot lead of the input?
When I am modding vintage unit I always do it an undoable way :) Not sure if I'm very clear, but no holes, nothing goes to the trash etc
sir h c

Post by sir h c »

So here are the three kinds I have. I didn't pull the PCBs (was heading out the door to see Wino playing in Baltimore). :headbanger: