GB-83 : grease at all volume levels?

The word on the street, FAQ's, forum updates.

Moderator: The Captain

MadNedZ

GB-83 : grease at all volume levels?

Post by MadNedZ »

Hi!

I didn't know where to ask this question so I hope starting a dedicated thread is OK.

So, there is this thickness (low mediums to low end thump) going on with my GB-83 that I cannot live without but it only seems to happen with the volume maxed out. If I lower it ever so slightly, it starts disappearing.

Of course this wouldn't be a problem if the GB-83 wasn't one of the loudest pedals I've ever had and, while I do want it to drive the amp, I'd like to be able to get that consistency feel with less output volume. I've checked if it is coming from the amp precisely because it's being heavily driven but after putting another pedal after the GB-83 to control the output volume, it appears that the thickness is it's own contribution. Well, I suppose it's called Grease box for a reason. :hihi:

In other words, the volume is not an issue by itself but rather the volume difference between the GB and other pedals. So, rather than having to control the GB's output with another pedal, I wonder if there is a way to get that sound on lower volume settings by the means of a minimal modification. Is this possible or am I missing something?

Thanks for reading and for your help!

Ok, here's something for attracting audience :

Cheers! :crackjam:
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

The good captain mod'd mine for that exact reason, to me it is much more usable volume wise, still a wicked greasy beast just a little easier to use. I'll post a pic tonight when I get home
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
garyrogue

Re: GB-83 : grease at all volume levels?

Post by garyrogue »

I was just using mine last night after a long time of no use. I still really dig it. Might have to look into that vol mod. Something only the Captain can do?

The way things worked out I was using it after a TB-00 for a vol boost and crazyness.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Nah I think its just a resistor going from volume to input jack, ill photo it in a bit here. Called it the "Chill out mod" or sumthing to that effect.
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
phidias

Post by phidias »

Guys, another folk interested here. My GB-83 is a phenomenal pedal, which I always have set at full volume (sounds best to my ears in this way), and not so used because of the lack of a DC socket for being pedalboard friendly. I was thinking about sending it to David for adding the DC socket, so this mod could be part of the pack, just in case. :party:
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
MadNedZ

Post by MadNedZ »

Thanks for chiming in guys!

Please do post the mod Dave operated on your GB-83, mjkk. BTW, does the mod only decrease the maximum output level or does it make the thickness available starting from a lower point while still being able to reach an outrageous maximum output level?

Maybe it would be nice to add an LED and a power input while we're at it but I'm not sure about it since the fuzz circuit is said to have very low power consumption (lower than the LED!). But of course, it's always convenient not to have to think about battery replacement.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Ok its a resistor ties into the 1st leg of the volume pot to the ground of the output jack. Pics to follow. Hope this is ok with the capt, if not I'll delete it asap
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Also I sort of remember he changed a pot value as well.. sorry for the lack of info but in my mind and ear it works perfectly.
MadNedZ

Post by MadNedZ »

Thanks a lot mjkk! Haha, love the mod name! It does looks rather simple but then what do I know... I'll try speaking with El Capetano about this. If anyone else is interested maybe we could shoot him the questions at once so why not post them here first. Just an idea...