Son of Oh shit, its the "I just boughted it" Thread!!!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

sciencefriction

Re: Son of Oh shit, its the "I just boughted it" Thread!!!

Post by sciencefriction »

fernieite wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:59 pm
sciencefriction wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:55 am I just bought a first generation late 70s Roland JC-120. 70s/80s post-punk/indie is a big thing for me, so I’m trying to acquire more of those key SS amps. I’m thinking the Tone Bender Distortion will play well with it. Kind of like Billy Duffy’s early 80s rig- JC-120 and a Boss SD-1. Though I’m leaning more towards Robert Smith with my rig.
Cool. And you get a Boss CE1 chorus built in. :tu:
Yup, that’s what I’m excited about! I’ve heard the 70s JC-120 chorus is even more impressive than the pedal. I had to try it eventually.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

You know growing up in the 80s I didnt remember much good. I remember that no-one had any money that’s for sure. All the music on the radio seemed very poppy. By the time I turned a teenager it was the early 90s. Grunge came in. I have a lot of good memories from the 90s. And the music coincides with those memory’s.
Still now pushing 40 I love a lot of those 80s songs.
When I was a kid my dad would play journey man by Clapton, Yes’s owner of a lonely heart. Don Henley boys of summer. Bryan Adams run to you.
And now I do the same with my son.
It’s our car CD.
I do love a good chorus pedal these days. Regardless that I attempt to play Acid Blues a lot of the time.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

suppose it could depend on who was in your house. Ive got two big sisters so the 80's for me was a lot of Duran Duran and Kajafuckinggoogoo :banger: Luckily though I shared a room with my big brother and he was into the Jam and the Pistols :freakout:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

I've been wanting to try one of these forever and got a heads up that Dan had found parts to make a couple. Looking forward to it arriving next month.

Incidentally, has anyone tried his OPA-101 Overdriven Preamp?

superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

I had one of those Tube Benders a few years back. I think his compressor is more revered though.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Doveholes wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm I've been wanting to try one of these forever and got a heads up that Dan had found parts to make a couple. Looking forward to it arriving next month.

Incidentally, has anyone tried his OPA-101 Overdriven Preamp?

The opa-101 is incredible. The tube bender is cool too but a lot lower gain.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

superslidetail wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:39 pm I had one of those Tube Benders a few years back. I think his compressor is more revered though.
Yes indeed. Now incorporated here: https://thorpyfx.com/products/the-fat-g ... essor-mini
redeyeflight wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 pm The opa-101 is incredible. The tube bender is cool too but a lot lower gain.
Ah cool, low gain is what I was after. Hopefully an opa-101 will turn up sometime.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Doveholes wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:56 am
superslidetail wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:39 pm I had one of those Tube Benders a few years back. I think his compressor is more revered though.
Yes indeed. Now incorporated here: https://thorpyfx.com/products/the-fat-g ... essor-mini
redeyeflight wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 pm The opa-101 is incredible. The tube bender is cool too but a lot lower gain.
Ah cool, low gain is what I was after. Hopefully an opa-101 will turn up sometime.
Where are you seeing the tube benders for sale??
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

redeyeflight wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:54 amWhere are you seeing the tube benders for sale??
There was a thread on The Fretboard: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussi ... t/2610230/, but just a heads up that when I messaged Dan I was told "As it happens I have just two Tube Bender's left and have just received one other sales enquiry simultaneous to yours."

Could still be worth an email though, in case that other sale didn't go through.
Doveholes

Post by Doveholes »

Doveholes wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:56 amHopefully an opa-101 will turn up sometime.
I guess sometimes pedals are like buses... :oldgrin: