Son of Oh shit, its the "I just boughted it" Thread!!!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Re: Son of Oh shit, its the "I just boughted it" Thread!!!

Post by Nick »

Spook wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:44 pm In what order did they make 'em ?
the mkii's first, then later switched to mki ?...i'm confused
I thought the early supa's were kind of sola mkii's in another box (to make it simple)
The really early Supas (housed in a similar angular 'Olivetti' enclosure to DBBlues' score, but with knobs positioned closer together) as well as some of the earliest 'wide-spaced knobs' Supas were built with both the typical MKII circuit, which Sola Sound was also using in Rotosounds and Fuzzbugs at the time, as well as the 'modified MKI w/ tone control' circuit. It appears that, by the time that DBBlues' pedal was built, Sola Sound had discontinued the Supa MKI circuit, and the SupaFuzz would only ever feature whatever version of the MKII circuit Sola Sound was producing at the time (be that with OC75s, S3-1T or OC81D transistors), until Marshall took over production, c.1968, when it was built with Marshall's version of the MKII.

It looks like the 1966 Sola-built Supa MKI and MKII circuits may have been built in parallel for a while, but - based off secret info & nerdy parts/details analysis - I have a suspicion that the Supa MKI circuit may predate the MKII. Or, at least, that some of the known surviving Supa MKI's might predate the earliest known surviving MKII's. There have been quite a few revelations/discoveries since the data dumps from a decade ago, but in the future we might be drawing totally different conclusions, as long as unusual vintage pedals continue to resurface :)
DBBlues

Post by DBBlues »

I love learning more about these pedals. I had assumed that MkIs were entirely before MkIIs, cool that I was wrong!
Spook

Post by Spook »

Nick wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:14 pm
I thought the early supa's were kind of sola mkii's in another box (to make it simple)
The really early Supas (housed in a similar angular 'Olivetti' enclosure to DBBlues' score, but with knobs positioned closer together) as well as some of the earliest 'wide-spaced knobs' Supas were built with both the typical MKII circuit, which Sola Sound was also using in Rotosounds and Fuzzbugs at the time, as well as the 'modified MKI w/ tone control' circuit. It appears that, by the time that DBBlues' pedal was built, Sola Sound had discontinued the Supa MKI circuit, and the SupaFuzz would only ever feature whatever version of the MKII circuit Sola Sound was producing at the time (be that with OC75s, S3-1T or OC81D transistors), until Marshall took over production, c.1968, when it was built with Marshall's version of the MKII.

It looks like the 1966 Sola-built Supa MKI and MKII circuits may have been built in parallel for a while, but - based off secret info & nerdy parts/details analysis - I have a suspicion that the Supa MKI circuit may predate the MKII. Or, at least, that some of the known surviving Supa MKI's might predate the earliest known surviving MKII's. There have been quite a few revelations/discoveries since the data dumps from a decade ago, but in the future we might be drawing totally different conclusions, as long as unusual vintage pedals continue to resurface :)
Thanks for that !:)
:pazuzu:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Great info as always
UL4120

Post by UL4120 »

Nick wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:14 pm

Did The MKI Supa circuit only ever show up in the Olivetti cases or have examples of that circuit been found in MKI.5 or maybe even Sola/Vox Branded MKII cases? I seem to recall reading that at least one or two cast box Tone Benders have been found that had regular MKI circuits inside (I could be misremebering that). If so, it wouldn't be out of the question that a handful MKI Supa circuits were built into the MKI.5 cases during some sort of transitional period.
Trainwreck

Post by Trainwreck »

phidias wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:34 pm Couldn't resist... finally grabbed one of these

Sweet!!!
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

UL4120 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:06 pm Did The MKI Supa circuit only ever show up in the Olivetti cases or have examples of that circuit been found in MKI.5 or maybe even Sola/Vox Branded MKII cases? I seem to recall reading that at least one or two cast box Tone Benders have been found that had regular MKI circuits inside (I could be misremebering that). If so, it wouldn't be out of the question that a handful MKI Supa circuits were built into the MKI.5 cases during some sort of transitional period.
We've not seen the Supa MKI in anything other than an 'Olivetti' Supa case (yet), but TBH it's not something I'm holdng my breath for. Because the SupaFuzz was printed with pretty specific labelling (i.e. a filter control) it seems quite deliberate that they're the only pedals we've seen with that particular build so far.
That being said, the Supa MKI and the early MKII's appear to have been built from the same stash of parts, so who knows what might have happened on a lazy Friday. After all, we've seen stranger pedals before (e.g. a MK1.5 enclosure fitted with an anachronistic MKII board).

There is one known example of a '1965' MKI built into a cast case, but it's unclear whether the guts are original to that enclosure, or perhaps whether a steel-bodied MKI was dismantled and rebuilt to fit it. The latter seems more likely from a 'forensics' point of view, but - confusingly - it happens to be one of the earliest known surviving cast enclosures, so we can't fully rule out transitionality. Perhaps it did start out in this enclosure, but was heavily repaired at various points (hopefully for the last time, more recently, by the Captain!) -- we'll never know for sure until we find another.
UL4120

Post by UL4120 »

Nick wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 am We've not seen the Supa MKI in anything other than an 'Olivetti' Supa case (yet), but TBH it's not something I'm holdng my breath for. Because the SupaFuzz was printed with pretty specific labelling (i.e. a filter control) it seems quite deliberate that they're the only pedals we've seen with that particular build so far.
That being said, the Supa MKI and the early MKII's appear to have been built from the same stash of parts, so who knows what might have happened on a lazy Friday. After all, we've seen stranger pedals before (e.g. a MK1.5 enclosure fitted with an anachronistic MKII board).

There is one known example of a '1965' MKI built into a cast case, but it's unclear whether the guts are original to that enclosure, or perhaps whether a steel-bodied MKI was dismantled and rebuilt to fit it. The latter seems more likely from a 'forensics' point of view, but - confusingly - it happens to be one of the earliest known surviving cast enclosures, so we can't fully rule out transitionality. Perhaps it did start out in this enclosure, but was heavily repaired at various points (hopefully for the last time, more recently, by the Captain!) -- we'll never know for sure until we find another.
The part about the filter control definitely makes sense. It's probably very unlikely to find one in anything other than an Olivetti, but man would that be cool. Who doesn't love an oddball :hihi:

Granted I'm no expert but if that particular MKI is in one of the earliest cast enclosures, I'd bet it's original. Given how fast things were moving back then it wouldn't surprise me that much if, say, a prototype enclosure got fitted with the old circuit. But if I'm wrong, I'll gladly concede to the experts. Now let's wait for another one of those to pop up. :oldgrin:
daCod

Post by daCod »

Last pedal of 2020 landed New Year’s Eve eve :tu:
60F59E99-E7AE-4E8B-83CD-FE192362E348.jpeg
60F59E99-E7AE-4E8B-83CD-FE192362E348.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1511 times
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

daCod wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:22 pm Last pedal of 2020 landed New Year’s Eve eve :tu:

60F59E99-E7AE-4E8B-83CD-FE192362E348.jpeg
VERY COOL!!!!

Those knobs are awesome!
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.