Jimi hendrix partial pedal

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Re: Jimi hendrix partial pedal

Post by Nick »

Kitrae wrote: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:22 pm Jimi supposedly had a Foxey Lady in 1968, although seeing now that this one is unbranded, it's probably not what was spotted in the studio. The guy probably had every new fuzz pedal out there. Manny's sold most of the fuzz boxes available, and they had everything EHX made.
I don't see why this can't be one of the pedals pictured in that studio shot. It's difficult to tell, but the ones in the photo have black knobs too...
Can't believe it got auctioned before that photo became public knowledge :hihi:

Here are some pics of another unbranded unit. I think they originally came from Dragonfly's ancient website years and years ago, but I did bump into fresh pics of this exact pedal on some social media post recently (that I now can't seem to find anymore).
UNIDENTIFIED FUZZ.JPG
UNIDENTIFIED FUZZ.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
UNIDENTIFIED FUZZ BOARD.JPG
UNIDENTIFIED FUZZ BOARD.JPG (42.23 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
UNIDENTIFIED FUZZ BOARD TRACE.JPG
UNIDENTIFIED FUZZ BOARD TRACE.JPG (35.96 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

cool to see the component side, thanks!
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Eddie Kramer thinks this photo was taken in August 1968. Apparently there were at least two sessions at Record Plant during that month, but 'Come on' was recorded there on the 27th, and that track features some pretty terrible fuzz-guitar, so I can't help but wonder whether one of these early pre-EHX pedals were used on it.

Since I like Jimi Hendrix and I also like Fuzzrites, naturally, I had to find one of these for myself:

Obviously it's not the ex-Hendrix/Mitch Mitchell from the infamous auction some time ago, but because it's not got any 'foxey' graphics, and because the battery clasp is mounted under the top cover, it was probably built around the same time. I grabbed this from a well-known former EHX collector. He's had his collection cherry-picked by serious collectors for the better part of a decade now, as far as I know, but it seems like nobody wanted this one :badteeth:

Transistors are sadly replaced because the pedal apparently sounded terrible with the original ones. It's still a really nasty sounding pedal. It sounds very distinctly 'Fuzzrite', and it's very noisy & high gain, to the point of self-oscillation (possibly because of the replacement transistors?), but it's quite splatty too. I guess I'd describe the sound as somewhere between a Fuzzrite and a FY-2.

Kitrae wrote: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:02 pm 1967 Guild Foxey Lady, the very rare version Mike Matthews had made for Guild by Aul Instruments. As I recall, it was basically just a modified Fuzz Rite. When Mosrite went under Mike jumped in there and took over supplying the Foxey Lady's to Guild, well into the 1970's.
It's a bit tangential, but these Auls definitely pre-date the Mosrite/Guild connection. All the Mosrite-built Foxey Lady pedals that I've seen have Sprague modules, which date to mid/late-1968. It doesn't really make complete sense to me yet, but it seems like Mike might have set up this deal with Guild & Aul in late-67/early-68, and that (based on how rare these grey Auls are) this might have only been a short-lived venture until Mosrite took over. Mosrite was toast by early-1969, and this coincides with when the first EHX-built Foxey Lady pedals appear. EHX did take over production of the Guild Foxey Lady after Mosrite went bankrupt, but that might not have been the first such dealings between Matthews & Guild.

The Auls are definitely connected to Mike Matthews though, because I think he himself was the source of the name of that obscure electronics company, and the remains of another butchered Aul were recently discovered in Bob Myer's trash ( :smashed: ).

Mike Matthews has maintained over the years that at some point he got a phone call from someone at Manny's (son of the owner?) about how they had sold a fuzzbox to Jimi Hendrix, and Effectsdatabase-Bart has logged a photo of another of these early pedals that has a Manny's sticker on. My pedal looks like it has a faint outline below the switch where a similar sticker might have once stuck. Because this all happened in NYC, I'd agree with you that it's very likely that these were being sold out of Manny's.
danieldanger

Post by danieldanger »

first of all, "nobody wanted it", hahah. i *TRIED*.
second, its important to note that bob was ok with me being in his trash. im not a creep, haha. but thats a story for another day.

the AUL/GUILD/EHX timeline is soooooo hazy, i feel like i need to see actual paperwork or purchase orders from the era for it to ever feel right to me. everyone tells it differently. i agree that i dont think it was a "big muff" that jimi bought. i think he bought a pedal (from mannys most likely) that mike *had some involvement with* and then the story morphed over the years into it being a muff. the plan is specifically to sit down with the surviving crew later this year and all the units from this mess and really try to get the room to come to a consensus of what the hell is what and when it was. i think a few decades of telling the better story have made it all ...questionable. bobs memory seems very sharp still tho, so while hes on this earth he is a treasure trove of history.

mike brought this unit to bob myer and asked him to improve upon it. its heavily modded, the circuit is on a hinge that swings out. does not currently work...but could?
DSC00151.JPG
DSC00151.JPG (361.95 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

the partial pedal from the auction is in the UK, ive been in contact with the owner.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Love the history!
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Ace

Love these kinda posts, don’t get them much nowadays
’brutish in character but not thug like’
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

yeah, this is great - thanks for the updates!
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

I used to have one of those. Not exactly a fuzzrite, but similar with blend between 2 transistors.
Thant's my photo on the effcsdb
The one on the far left was a Fuzzrite pretty sure Ed Sanner build those.
Then Mike jumped in and you can see the other two are a triangle and a ram's head muff. With the 2nd from the right being the same as this one.

Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
danieldanger

Post by danieldanger »

and for the sake of sharing, heres my other one.
Attachments
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00174.JPG (363.8 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Gutshots of mine w/ 2n5133s

Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys