Most underappreciated fuzz pedals?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

jerms

Re: Most underappreciated fuzz pedals?

Post by jerms »

$250 reserve not met.... $400 buy it now.... waaaaay too much!
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

:hihi: Apparently, I haven't been watching it too closely.

Yeah, $400 = way too much. Maybe we should move this conversation over to the crackhead price thread. :crackjam:
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
jerms

Post by jerms »

:oldlol:
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

Roger Mayer Mongoose. Apparently it's a Rat, sounds different to me, kind of like a cocked wah fuzz. I'm never sure why Mayer fuzzes don't get more props, this one is a real beast.
Volume over talent
mondo500

Post by mondo500 »

Moollon are fairly underappreciated in fuzz circles.. maybe because retail prices are so high and there aren't that many around to pop up on the secondhand market (or maybe people tend to hang onto them?), but sound and workmanship are excellent. I have an OC44 treble boost and silicon FF-style build, both as good as any other pedals of those types I have.

Katanasound also make a mean fuzz... not sure how active he is these days, but I have another FF pedal and a sort of Sonic Titan-type overdrive that are great. Actually, I should bust out all of the pedals mentioned above—genuinely forgot I had them until just now. That's underappreciation for you!
moose

Post by moose »

slomatic wrote:Roger Mayer Mongoose. Apparently it's a Rat, sounds different to me, kind of like a cocked wah fuzz. I'm never sure why Mayer fuzzes don't get more props, this one is a real beast.
Just looking at the circuit and it's a kinda like a boost into a Rat with dirt at max and tone set filter preset at max treble. Wouldn't call it a Rat at all really but I really want to try one now.

My contribution is the Ibanez Standard that seems to get overlooked for the Superfuzz and Fy6. Also the Bubble Font Muffs don't get the attention they deserve relative to the Tall Fonts.
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Yeah try a Mongoose out, you'll either love it or hate it. I love it. Your description of dirt at max and max treble is spot on, though it can be tamed with your guitar. It makes me play fast, quick power chord riffs - then I start playing like spastic thrash metal solos. The brash treble just jumps right out. I like that it dictates what you play. It makes me bang my head. And it's a fucking purple UFO!
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

You listen to janelle monae? Kellindo parker, her guitarist, uses a mongoose I think
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Ace tone FM-3
The most evil sounding muff out there!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
dronevil

Post by dronevil »

redeyeflight wrote:Ace tone FM-3
The most evil sounding muff out there!
I couldn't agree more! Just pulled it out of the closet the other day and it sounded like Cthulhu himself was coming through the speakers. :cthulhu2:
"Only analog is real. It's still actual magnetism; a tangible substance. Digital is theoretical; it's data."

- Geoff Evans of Asunder