Fuzz prices

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

innerflight

Fuzz prices

Post by innerflight »

Is it me or is the price for fuzz all over the shop at the moment? Some pedals I’ve seen recently have been going for crazy prices, it’s always been a fluctuating market but it’s a bit mad. Some things you see listed you think ‘no chance’ next minute it’s gone, when I list something for what I think is reasonable sits there for fucking ages :hihi:

:coffee:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
daCod

Re: Fuzz prices

Post by daCod »

it's crazy. maybe it's just the time of year?
school/college having just starting back up and the kiddos with their surplus student loan money feeling like high-rollers paying up for pieces of gear?
that's how it was when i was in college. two or three buds of mine would always go splurge on gear with their extra loan money.
dudes knew it was not the smart thing to do. but who ever called drummers and bass players smart :badteeth:

seriously though it's a changed world. 9-10 years back the BST forum was always hopping. vintage units were popping up almost weekly if not more frequent.
shit was selling for decent prices - still cracky crack pipe every now and then - and i didn't have kids so it was WAY MORE FUN!!!

at least it's friday. and here's my new board setup for the mesa, with proof there is still sweet-ass shit out there to be had for fair prices! :party:

if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Spook

Post by Spook »

Yeah, seems we could be heading for a "Fuzz-bubble" like the vintage guitar market....we all know how that ended :choke:
:pazuzu:
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

I think in a majority of cases the prices are insane. Beyond crackhead prices. It's absolute bullshit.
I recently listed 2 jerms pedals for $14000 Just to make the point. I received lots of messages from reverb saying I was nuts to which I responded that's the fucking point. Is it as nuts as a $650 pedal bought 3 months ago being listed for $1200+???
Yeah a pedal is worth What someone else will pay for it but that sort of price inflation is in my mind absolutely fucking inexplicable. I don't begrudge someone adding a reasonable % for flipping. A particular pedal was the one that cracked me and the seller actually contacted me to discuss my listing. I explained in detail the hyperinflation of fuzz stuff meant that the people who it is intended for, actual musicians and the like are priced out of the market and the result is you wont get to hear these amazing fuzz's on albums and live. That's what they were intended for. By all means get your money back and a little bit of cream but 100 to 200% mark up? Really?
Jerms MK1.5/MK11
Only One In The World!! 2017 Hammertone Silver https://reverb.com/item/26933286-jerms- ... dium=share
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Knew that was you :hihi:

The issue I have recently is the way some people list pedals either for trade but ‘make me an offer’ or listing it really high and say ‘I’m testing the market as I don’t really know what these are worth but feel free to make an offer’ :banger: surely if you're selling something you have an inkling as to what you want :roll:

Like you said Meh, it’s ok if you add a bit on to a pedal, shit I’ve done that but at least be upfront about it, if you want to test the market fuck off to fleabay :fu:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Darth Sabbathi

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Reverb incentivises it to some degree. I mean, I always start my listings 20% above what I want... I then knock it down 10% to get a bump on the listing, and accept any offer close to 10% less than that. I just think of that as playing the 'verb game.

That doesn't explain or excuse flat out crack pipery, but it does nudge the inflationary trend.
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

Agree totally. Leave room for negotiations by all means but if as a community we accept this shit, then all we'll be able to afford is some crap reissues of ehx stuff. Having said that I will pay good money for a good product directly from the maker. I've done this many times and being in Australia it can be quite expensive due to currency conversion rates. I bought a top shelf mk1 of Jim and the exchange rate killed me but I know he had to go to great lengths and put up a solid amount of cash to get the components and box prior to adding his hourly rate to assemble the thing. I get that. Yeah it was pricey but I got the best of what he can do and for that, I wouldn't have it any other way. He doesn't make them every day so I appreciated the time and effort he put in to making something special for me. Having said that, if I turned around and tried to flog it off for 2 to 3 times what I paid, I would feel like a scab nd I'd hate to even think what he would think of me.
I wonder what Steve or Ian think about these things. I saw an eBay post for a Steve bullt fuzz face in a restored enclosure on eBay for well over £1000. That's $2000AU. Who the fuck is going to take that to a gig???
I'm pretty sure, as flattering as it is that this was not his intention.
FUZZ built by these guys should be played. Live and fucking loud by garage bands with 3 people in the craziness or 30,000 at the gig. thry should be recorded by people who love them, need them and know how to use them.
There are 14 destruction department's in the wild. How you ever gonna hear one eh?
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

my opinion - I don't care. If I want something I talk to the seller, regardless of price. People can put whatever they want on the price tag, and people can offer whatever they are able to pay based on what they think it's worth. None of these pedals are necessities and some are rare enough that pricing them is guesswork. People who are serious about selling their gear will drop their prices if the pedal sits around too long.
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

jreeves47 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 pm my opinion - I don't care. If I want something I talk to the seller, regardless of price. People can put whatever they want on the price tag, and people can offer whatever they are able to pay based on what they think it's worth. None of these pedals are necessities and some are rare enough that pricing them is guesswork. People who are serious about selling their gear will drop their prices if the pedal sits around too long.
No offence but sitting on the fence is pretty pisspoor. If you agree with the current state of the market then that's cool and if you don't, that's cool too. I just feel and yes, it's my opinion and I'll stand by it; at some time you need to call bullshit for what it is. BULLSHIT
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

Like this
D*A*M Buzzotron NKT213 Boston Green 2016 Buzzaround https://reverb.com/item/27172423-d-a-m- ... dium=share