Are made in Korea guitars any good?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

stella_blues

Re: Are made in Korea guitars any good?

Post by stella_blues »

I think that looks pretty cool :badlove:

I’m pretty sure the P90 PRS I got a few months ago is MIK and there’s no real quality issues with it. Decent wood and cheaper parts but plays and sounds great. It was £250 so obviously I’m not expecting the same build quality as a £3000 US built model.

Like any guitar made wherever, some will be better than others so at least you can easily go and see it....it’s just down the road from me so I could chuck the new 65 your way to try with your new firebird :badteeth: :party:
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

I wouldn't have any issue with an MIK built guitar.
I had a Yamaha sa503-TVL and it was an absolute pleasure to play. Fantastic guitar. To my greatest surprise when I too receipt of the guitar it was made in Indonesia. Like everywhere, there's good factories and shit factories. Always try before you buy.
ak0216

Post by ak0216 »

Peerless factory (ex-Epiphone hollow body OEM) products are really good.
simonm

Post by simonm »

Yep - it's not the country it's made in anymore, it's the specs and tolerances and the pricepoint in the market. An entry level bolt-on could be made in Japan, China, Korea wherever and it would be the same bar some small details, likewise factories in each county could produce a pelham blue Firebird to the same level if required.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I guess the consensus is I need to go try this mofo out :party:

Thanks Adrian, well up for trying the new 65 :cheers:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

innerflight wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:32 am I guess the consensus is I need to go try this mofo out :party:

I could be a bit behind the times judging by the recent comments plus maybe a little snobbery.

If it feels good and plays good ... it’s all subjective I guess.

Those pickups surely will sound great with fuzzzz
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

innerflight wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:32 am I guess the consensus is I need to go try this mofo out :party:

No probs, gimme a shout if you’re heading over to Dalkieth :tu:
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I buy that fuck in a heartbeat!
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

innerflight wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm how good or bad are they? on a par with Mexico? what would be the pitfalls to look out for? the thing I'm eyeing up is a MIK Tokai
I think the MIK Tokais are built by Samick? So, not terrible, but you're paying for the name and the cache associated with those early MIJ Tokais which were great but getting a modern Korean Samick copy.
The cheapie MIK Danelectros in the 90s were much better than the Chinese ones that came after, but still had garbage electronics, which always seems to be where these MIK/MIC guitars fall down. If it's local, try it and if it's solid and you like it go for it.
I've had a few 70s/80s Tokais over the eyars and they were mostly really great guitars. Didn't like the super-thick finish on the one MIK one I played. YMMV
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

redeyeflight wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:26 pm All the squier stuff nowadays is made in korea is it not? My squier bass vi is a fantastic instrument!!
Nah, Indonesia/China for awhile now.... Even some Fender branded stuff is.