Favourite builders for certain fuzz types?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

sledz

Re: Favourite builders for certain fuzz types?

Post by sledz »

MEH! wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:33 am
stella_blues wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm
MEH! wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:36 pm
stella_blues wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm Tim from Tym Guitars does amazing muff builds of every variety but if you can try the Violet Mud, totally awesome. As are his MXR dist and Rat

Yeah nah
:bangs head:
What's the problem here? Personnel issues with Tim or I'm wrong and his mud builds are shite? :popcorn:
Probably more about the business model to be honest. The modus operandi if you like.
My opinion is that once YOU buy something YOU OWN IT and can do whatever the bloody hell you want with it. I don't appreciate some little bald gnome that chases the "next band" like a 2 buck lawyer chases ambulances to put out and market a "LTD ED" pedal telling me what I can and can't do with MY PROPERTY under the threat of being "BLACKLISTED".
Sometimes it ain't all about the sound
Hard to disagree, but I'm not up to date about Tym. What actually happened you're talking about?
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

The-kangass wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:10 pm
pothole wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:15 pm
daCod wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 pm Jerms. Across the board. From an MxR micro Amp to a KlonE,
Hol up....Jerms built at Klon clone?????
there was ceriatone centura build up by Jerms few days ago for sale if I'm not mistaken... :freakout:
But Jim never built it, he was selling it, unless you mean something else
’brutish in character but not thug like’
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

sledz wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:40 pm
stella_blues wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm Tim from Tym Guitars does amazing muff builds of every variety but if you can try the Violet Mud, totally awesome. As are his MXR dist and Rat

Yeah nah
What's the problem here? Personnel issues with Tim or I'm wrong and his mud builds are shite? :popcorn:
Probably more about the business model to be honest. The modus operandi if you like.
My opinion is that once YOU buy something YOU OWN IT and can do whatever the bloody hell you want with it. I don't appreciate some little bald gnome that chases the "next band" like a 2 buck lawyer chases ambulances to put out and market a "LTD ED" pedal telling me what I can and can't do with MY PROPERTY under the threat of being "BLACKLISTED".
Hard to disagree, but I'm not up to date about Tym. What actually happened you're talking about?
Long long story but just know that I have known him for 20 odd years and put in a lot of work in getting his business off the ground by promoting him in every interview and venue up the east coast of Aus. By getting people through his door under his house gave him the opportunity to quit his job and go full time. I wasn't alone in supporting him but have shared the outcomes with those of us who did and it isn't a nice feeling.
Yep, he makes a fantastic muff based pedal in a variety of flavors that are all equally fantastic
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

innerflight wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:07 am
The-kangass wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:10 pm
pothole wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:15 pm
daCod wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 pm Jerms. Across the board. From an MxR micro Amp to a KlonE,
Hol up....Jerms built at Klon clone?????
there was ceriatone centura build up by Jerms few days ago for sale if I'm not mistaken... :freakout:
But Jim never built it, he was selling it, unless you mean something else
my bad. I suppose my english is't that good after all. :oldgrin:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Stu has built me a number of really great custom one-offs that have delivered to the nines. I will say the Castledine V2 is the best violet circuit Muff I have ever played and I have been chasing those for a long time.

Dave's Meathead has to be one of the most genius designs for a pedal I have ever used in a live setting. A Meathead and a Rooster will pretty much take me anywhere I want to go. Dave's Fuzz Face circuits (Head Buzz) also ended my search for the perfect germanium Fuzz Face tone. Ever since I got my grubby little mits on some of his FF builds I have not purchased a single one since.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

MEH! wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 am

Yeah nah
Long long story but just know that I have known him for 20 odd years and put in a lot of work in getting his business off the ground by promoting him in every interview and venue up the east coast of Aus. By getting people through his door under his house gave him the opportunity to quit his job and go full time. I wasn't alone in supporting him but have shared the outcomes with those of us who did and it isn't a nice feeling.
Yep, he makes a fantastic muff based pedal in a variety of flavors that are all equally fantastic
I have heard from a few different people the have shared similar stories about Tym guitars. I have to say I was really surprised to hear that. I came late to the game with his builds but I have certainly enjoyed the Big Mud builds I have purchased.

Since he has not built a Dead Meadow fuzz over the last 4 or 5 years I asked for some help in getting a clone made but he did not seem to keen to offer anything, which also surprised me since he has pretty much created a cottage industry making clones of pedals.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by MEH! »

1bottlerocket wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:51 am
MEH! wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 am

Yeah nah
I have heard from a few different people the have shared similar stories about Tym guitars. I have to say I was really surprised to hear that. I came late to the game with his builds but I have certainly enjoyed the Big Mud builds I have purchased.

Since he has not built a Dead Meadow fuzz over the last 4 or 5 years I asked for some help in getting a clone made but he did not seem to keen to offer anything, which also surprised me since he has pretty much created a cottage industry making clones of pedals.
Yeah mate I hear you. He ain't shy on taking other people's ideas either. Found out this morning he just totally took one of my ideas that I mentioned to a mutual friend. I was angry but then thought, whatever. I'm 4/6ths the way through my project that he just unashamedly took over. Speaks to the measure of a man I feel
Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

I’m going to defend Tim since he isn’t here defending himself . I’ve known him 20 years and he has never done anything wrong by me . He’s only ever helped me . I think he is honourable and a great pedal builder .
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Fuzzisthebest wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:21 am I’m going to defend Tim since he isn’t here defending himself . I’ve known him 20 years and he has never done anything wrong by me . He’s only ever helped me . I think he is honourable and a great pedal builder .
To be clear, I am not saying anything bad about him. My point is that I am surprised to hear negative stories. He seems like a person that is trying to do good things in the world. I also appreciate the donations he makes to charitable causes, he puts his money where is mouth is so to speak.

My only interaction with him was asking for build information for a Dead Meadow fuzz and he had nothing to offer. I am sure he has his reasons but it surprised me. I was thinking he would offer me a schematic or some kind of help.
-Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by MEH! »

Fuzzisthebest wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:21 am I’m going to defend Tim since he isn’t here defending himself . I’ve known him 20 years and he has never done anything wrong by me . He’s only ever helped me . I think he is honourable and a great pedal builder .
Totally understand mate. Yes he is a fantastic pedal builder and his products are backed for life. I'm glad to hear you have had a great experience. Unfortunately mine has not been as rewarding as yours. I did a lot to help him, put in the time and effort to promote his business and when the next best thing came along I was ghosted. I think the problem was mine, I thought we were great friends however that was my misjudgment.