Help! I've lost the will to fuzz!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

mondo500

Re: Help! I've lost the will to fuzz!

Post by mondo500 »

/edit oops, never mind.. posted without realising there were more pages to the thread, was all pleased with myself too..

Belfield Music has some stupidly good deals on Blackstar amps at the moment... I know nothing about them, but they would appear to get at least some favourable notices and the Artisan series is certainly priced as if they bring the toanz

https://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/blackstar-sale
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Do they have modern orange amps in Australia? I'd assume so. As far as matamp style stuff goes that seems the obvious choice. They have some very reasonably priced models. I played thru an Or-30 (i think) recently and thought it was really great sounding for a new amplifier. And it was definitely well priced! Anyways, probably worth a look at some used ones I'd imagine you can find one that will work for sound and budget!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
mondo500

Post by mondo500 »

dude on an Aussie guitar board is selling a Matamp GT40mkII, bit more than you want to spend but that's to be expected.. could maybe put you in touch if interested
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

redeyeflight wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm Do they have modern orange amps in Australia? I'd assume so. As far as matamp style stuff goes that seems the obvious choice. They have some very reasonably priced models. I played thru an Or-30 (i think) recently and thought it was really great sounding for a new amplifier. And it was definitely well priced! Anyways, probably worth a look at some used ones I'd imagine you can find one that will work for sound and budget!
Yep. I had a AD-30 TC (I think) 2x12 combo. Very good amp for the money. No longer made but they're around. $7-900 and you get a damn fine rig.
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

The higher end new Orange stuff is excellent for the money. Doesn’t really sound like the vintage ones but good in their own right.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yep I had the Ad30 very nice.
Wanted to try the OR15 too! Well before I got into vintage amps
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

I don't know if you can get those new marshall orgin amps over there in australia but friend got it brand new for 550Eur brand spanking new and it is really great amp for that pricepoint...
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

Jim Goad wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:44 am The higher end new Orange stuff is excellent for the money. Doesn’t really sound like the vintage ones but good in their own right.
Are they printed circuit board? I know that was the only let down with the ad30. I had it for 2 years and it was really good but I figured for longevity, it was time to move it on as I wasn't confident that the circuit board would last
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Thanks for all your feedback guys!! I'm going to get my main guit to where I want it and then scout/try out some of these suggestions!

I believe that was my old Matamp! Seems it went traveling down south to Melbs
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
welshchris

Post by welshchris »

Think ya have it figured.
Get the guitar the way you want it, if you like the bareknuckles get another set and drop in this guitar (do the caps as well if you wanted, though am sure you'd agree caps are that last tiny tiny difference, really sounds like you have bigger issues than wrong material caps. Regarding pickups for me I find messing with a set of pickup height vs the strings can make a fair bit of difference, I'd spent plenty of time with an amp tweaking up and down slightly so they react just the way I like with my picking style.Might be worth just tweaking what you have up or down a touch and costs nothing.
On the amp front know someone mentioned the modern oranges, I've played a few of the high watt ones at fly in shows and they take pedals really well, I'd imagine the lower wattage valve jobs would do the same for you and I'd imagine on budget. I generally just use the clean channel on them and let the fuzz do any dirtying.

I'd also suggest find the best luthier local and pay for a decent setup, know whenever my guitars are back from a quality setup they are so playable and just makes me want to spend more time playing. I'm lucky to have an outstanding luthier fairly local and his attention to detail is something else so much better than a lot of "techs" who've done very reasonable but not exceptional jobs.

Good luck!!

I'll also throw in another cheap "amp" suggestion, I've a Quilter that takes pedals REALLY well. I'm running the 200w toneblock version with a GT120 biamped in the practice room for stupid loud but know they do lower wattage versions and have a few friends who've grabbed the small pedal sized amp and are dead happy with it. You'd need a cab, I'll be honest was blown away with mine all for the cost of a fuzz pedal.

Anyway here's a demo of the inter block 45 that might work for you

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/p ... erblock-45
... No I can't turn down