After a Vox AC15. Thoughts? That UK-made 60th Anni?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

vanguard

After a Vox AC15. Thoughts? That UK-made 60th Anni?

Post by vanguard »

So I'm smitten by the AC15 right now. Lots of different versions out there these days.

Looks like Korg/Vox did a limited, entirely UK-made version that's pretty fucking boutique. UK-made Celestion Silver, UK transformers, turret construction, etc.

I'm especially intrigued by the '50s vibrato circuit, which sounds a lot like real pitch modulation to my battered ears.

It's expensive, but I could score one locally close to $2k.

Any of you folks Vox people? Thoughts?

https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
Fuzzisthebest

Re: After a Vox AC15. Thoughts? That UK-made 60th Anni?

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

I like the idea of an AC15. Those 60th anniversaries look cool but they were expensive in Australia when released in 2017 . $7000 Australian!!!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Mate I too think that 60th looked killer.
I’d kept a eye out myself but even used they’re around £1500-£1800 here in the UK
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

I've had the fawn AC15HW1 for several years now. I dropped in a blue alnico few years later and I'm a happy camper. It did require a bit of modding to get the filtering to sound right, but it was well worth it. The back has been open for at least three years now as I've intended to revert the normal channel back to JMI specs, but apparently I've dealt with it somewhat fine as it is. It doesn't have any onboard wiggle effects, but I don't particularly care for them either. I would be happy with just the normal channel, as I can't remember when was the last time I plugged into the top boost either.
Condolences, the bums lost!
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

Thanks, guys. Very helpful! I may make the long drive to a shop a few hours away to try it out.

At around 7:10, this dude jumpers the channels and blends the vibrato with the normal channel. It does a pretty serious univibe/harmonic trem trick I'm digging.

skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

If you are after an AC15 with “real deal” specs, e.g. EF86 Normal channel and Vib/Trem channel, the 60th Anniversary is the one to get. IIRC, the first (modern) handwired series had a Top Boost channel and an EF86 Normal channel with extended tonal options, but no Vib/Trem. The most recent handwired series has a Top Boost and 12AX7 Normal channels with global Master Volume, but (again) no Vib/Trem. I’m sure they can all sound great, just depends on what you need/want.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yep that 60th is pricey but the clips I’ve heard really had me gassing!
2guests

Post by 2guests »

Yes, yes, yes!
"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

Found a pretty killer deal on the AC15HW60 for Cyber Monday. I haven't owned a brand-new amp in years, being a vintage kind of fellow, but this amp seems too good not to try. Considering a real, vintage 1957 AC15 is virtually unobtainable, and obscenely expensive should one ever hit the market, I think this'll fit the bill. I'll post my findings when it arrives! :cheers:

Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

vanguard wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 pm Found a pretty killer deal on the AC15HW60 for Cyber Monday. I haven't owned a brand-new amp in years, being a vintage kind of fellow, but this amp seems too good not to try. Considering a real, vintage 1957 AC15 is virtually unobtainable, and obscenely expensive should one ever hit the market, I think this'll fit the bill. I'll post my findings when it arrives! :cheers:
Awesome , I hope it’s as good as it should be .