Fuzz of the decade

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Doc Holliday

Re: Fuzz of the decade

Post by Doc Holliday »

The MK1 sure became popular during this decade. Back in the late 90s for a good 10yrs all I really knew of were the fuzz face and MK2.
Spook

Post by Spook »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:10 am The MK1 sure became popular during this decade. Back in the late 90s for a good 10yrs all I really knew of were the fuzz face and MK2.
Seme here, i thought of it as some kind of hipster fuzz....only the most
nerdy were talking about it.
I guess we're all nerds now ! :badteeth:
:pazuzu:
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Spook wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 am
Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:10 am The MK1 sure became popular during this decade. Back in the late 90s for a good 10yrs all I really knew of were the fuzz face and MK2.
Seme here, i thought of it as some kind of hipster fuzz....only the most
nerdy were talking about it.
I guess we're all nerds now ! :badteeth:
Yes back then Dave had done the OG 65 builds and was adamant there would be no more as they did his nut in building them.
My first MKI experience was from Ryan @ Skinpimp....there was that lovely crumbly gatey sizzle we now all know and love.
I think the jerms MKI is a classic, he def got the ball rolling back in 2010 with that first run of MKI’s.
Now we have MKI’s everywhere but the big guns have taken them to the next level....Sola MKIs being the pinnacle of MKI builds....a real Sola MKi, no one thought that would ever happen!!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I think it’s quite bizarre that during the 90s guitar magazines were writing small articles about these 60s designs with completely false information which didn’t help the learning experience.

Original Fuzz faces only used AC128’s was one- false!
The vox Tonebender was the one Jimmy Page used in the Yardbirds and zep - false

There was a ton of bad research on those things.

Let’s be honest even Dennis Cornell couldn’t re-make a fuzz face to the spec he had overseen apparently during the 60s! Badly biased AC128’s which he swore only came in the originals.

Sola sound we’re making a MK2 with a 1.5 guts.

It was like people had forgotten all about these little boxes.

Fair play to people like Bob sweet, Mike fuller, Mike at Analogman , zach at zvex etc for really looking into what made these devices work.

Although they might not be as 100% accurate as what people are building now they defo gave a more traditional approach and option other than Dunlop and the like which to my ears never came close to what I had in my head or heard on the records.

It seemed the big boys had the sway and the editors listened with their eyes.

Looking back at those magazines sure makes me realise how far the fuzz games come.

Back in early 2000 I knew people who hated fuzz and always referred to it as a Bee/wasp in a jam jar.

Clearly they had never played the majority as a MK2 through a Marshall sounds nothing like that. Nor a muff, mk1, zonk,etc.
They had probably never used a fuzz for that matter. But just liked to have a say anyway to sound like they were in the know. It seemed cool to not like these primative boxes.

Now look! Everyone’s got a fuzz of some type on their floor/board.
Guys like Gary Clarke junior, Doyle etc are still stomping on them keeping those old tones alive.

Fuzz finally got its day and people got educated.

Cheers :cheers:
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Don't forget Stuart Castledine in the MK I discussion. He built me a clone of his original back in about 2004. I went to a local metal shop and had 2 MK I cases made to the dimensions Stu gave me. I sent one to him and kept the other for myself. My avatar is that pedal. Fantastic circuit! :award:

EDIT: Sorry, wrong decade! :badteeth:
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

fernieite wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm Don't forget Stuart Castledine in the MK I discussion. He built me a clone of his original back in about 2004. I went to a local metal shop and had 2 MK I cases made to the dimensions Stu gave me. I sent one to him and kept the other for myself. My avatar is that pedal. Fantastic circuit! :award:

EDIT: Sorry, wrong decade! :badteeth:
Stu is the man.....he’s the font of knowledge for vintage gear, he knows his onions for sure :party:

His Supa MKI is another classic....virtually no one knew of the existence of the Supa MKI before Stu cloned his.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Yes well said doc, all true :tu:

I also agree, Stu’s knowledge is :headpop: #welovestu
’brutish in character but not thug like’
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Jerms MK I
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

redeyeflight wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:23 pm Jerms MK I
:agree:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I would probably have to go with this one:

Dave ruled it for a Fuzz Face tone. There are so many great Fuzz pedals that have passed through my grubby little mits, but it seems ever since I got this Fuzz Face I haven't really looked for another.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty