Dream Fuzz Face

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Dullboy

Re: Dream Fuzz Face

Post by Dullboy »

Blues 1911 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 pm Fuzz Face and tone control is a difficult marriage... I'd rather set up a switch with a different input cap, but in the end, if you want a set-and-forget one, you'll find it pretty useless: way better a very well tuned pedal with the basic Volume and Fuzz controls, also because wisely lowering the guitar volume will help you to gain a noticeable clarity.

Among what I've tried, Analogman Sunface is absolutely the best of the best - I've got three (NKT275 White Dot Normal Gain, RCA Normal Gain and BC108), and are all different and very tasty sounding, with the added bonus to feel each one perfectly tweaked and fine tuned.
Just choose what flavour you're after, pull the trigger and live happy :tu:

Why don’t tone control and Fuzz Face get along together?
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

Dustin Francis Ivor. If you find you need EQ stick a Sola Sound Power Boost after it. Job done!
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

kluskie wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 am Dustin Francis Ivor. If you find you need EQ stick a Sola Sound Power Boost after it. Job done!
Wow! That's expensive!! I can't afford it.
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

Dullboy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am
kluskie wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:00 am Dustin Francis Ivor. If you find you need EQ stick a Sola Sound Power Boost after it. Job done!
Well, you did say 'Dream' Fuzz Face lol!
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

kluskie wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 am
Dullboy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am
Well, you did say 'Dream' Fuzz Face lol!
Yeah, you're right!
So I can keep dreaming about it ehehhe
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
evergud

Post by evergud »

Of the non-boutique variety the Deep Trip BOG is not so bad either.
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

Phoenix Custom Electronics Fuzz & SuperNova- I believe have the bias and tone control knobs. They're more affordable if you can find them.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Blues 1911

Post by Blues 1911 »

Dullboy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 am
Blues 1911 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 pm Fuzz Face and tone control is a difficult marriage... I'd rather set up a switch with a different input cap, but in the end, if you want a set-and-forget one, you'll find it pretty useless: way better a very well tuned pedal with the basic Volume and Fuzz controls, also because wisely lowering the guitar volume will help you to gain a noticeable clarity.

Among what I've tried, Analogman Sunface is absolutely the best of the best - I've got three (NKT275 White Dot Normal Gain, RCA Normal Gain and BC108), and are all different and very tasty sounding, with the added bonus to feel each one perfectly tweaked and fine tuned.

A fuzz usually cut and compress your signal wave to a square wave: the perceived distortion and the sound richness we all love and crave is due to the heavy harmonics generated.
If you put a tone control (which is usually a passive circuit that will alter your signal in any case), you will shunt lots of harmonics and frequencies to ground, and all you will get is just an anonymous distortion instead of a fuzz. More, consider that the overtones and sustain are greatly helped by the wide frequency cut ("lots of bass"): also if you simply reduce too much the input capacitor, you will have as indesirable effect A LOT less sustain and overtones.

A great fuzz don't need any tone control, just a nice guitar and amp and a wide use of the guitar volume.
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Blues 1911 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:03 pm
Dullboy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 am

A fuzz usually cut and compress your signal wave to a square wave: the perceived distortion and the sound richness we all love and crave is due to the heavy harmonics generated.
If you put a tone control (which is usually a passive circuit that will alter your signal in any case), you will shunt lots of harmonics and frequencies to ground, and all you will get is just an anonymous distortion instead of a fuzz. More, consider that the overtones and sustain are greatly helped by the wide frequency cut ("lots of bass"): also if you simply reduce too much the input capacitor, you will have as indesirable effect A LOT less sustain and overtones.

A great fuzz don't need any tone control, just a nice guitar and amp and a wide use of the guitar volume.
Thanks a lot for this explanation!

For my request...Could it be a MK1.5 also I suppose :)
Maybe it's more difficult to find one with 9DC
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Blues 1911

Post by Blues 1911 »

Dullboy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:06 am
Thanks a lot for this explanation!

For my request...Could it be a MK1.5 also I suppose :)
Maybe it's more difficult to find one with 9DC
MK 1.5 has identical Fuzz Face (and Vox Tonebender...) circuit with some altered values, with the substantial difference that MK 1.5 is somewhat overbiased and in most cases you won't probably get a perfect cleanup with guitar volume just like with a Fuzz Face and the Vox Tonebender.
If you are interested in the MK 1.5 with a DC adapter, anyway,I think someone can build one on your request. The first name that comes to my mind is Jimmy Behan, Super Electric Effects.