109 overall

melodic discrimination - 109
mistuning perception - 116
beat alignment - 101
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
The-kangass

Re: Musical IQ test

Post by The-kangass »

thank you for link - had a lot of fun doing the test!
my score:
115 overal

Melodic Discrimination: 112
Mistuning Perception: 118
Beat Alignment: 114

for a half deaf drummer it ain't bad I reckon :-D
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

Tough test! Especially the beat part...
I got a 115 over all, though :)

I think they've made a mistake concerning pitch - when mentioning absolute pitch, but not the more
common relative pitch, - that is when you can sing a certain new tone from a given one. One of my sons
have absolute pitch, and if I ask him he can sing an E or a C# out of the blue, without instrument or any tone
to relate to.

There is a very interesting problem, though, that often strikes my son and our friends with "absolute pitch". Gifted
as they are, they tend to have stronger natural bonds to all individual tones that they experience and
sense very intuitively. Also when they listen to a group of tones together in a sequence, as a melody (or
as a "gestalt"), they still tend more to hear each tone individually. While most of us "less gifted" musicians,
with only "relative pitch", instead have to rely more on the "group of tones", the melody, in order to remember a
sequence.
Now, there follows this paradox: When asked to transpose a melody, this tends to be easier for us with "relative
pitch", as we're more dependent of this relation between the tones. It's often easier for us to move "the whole
group of tones" together at once to another pitch, even when the melody is complicated. While our gifted friends
with "absolute pitch" have more troubles moving one tone after another, individually, to the new pitch... :hihi:
This means, socially, that whenever you're transposing melodies, you have to take this into account with your
talented friends, and don't press them too hard... :badteeth: as I do with my son!

I even had a music teacher at University in harmony class, that had been piano player in a jazz group for years,
a guy with absolute pitch. And therefore having it harder transposing his melodies. But he started a years long
terminating process of his absolute pitch abilities. So when I met him as a student, a couple of years later, he
was changed to a "relative pitch" guy, as 75% of us others were!
Last edited by Bert Ohlsson on Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

sorry you lost me at TGP :badteeth:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

I'm sorry, Innerflight!
My bad!
:marx:

To enter the Music IQ test you first had to answer some questions concerning your musical
background. One question was about your degree of "absolute pitch", which I know is somewhat
rare even among musicians. For my own part I've got good "relative pitch", something that was
no option in the questions though...

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... 04.00260.x

"The poorer performance of the Absolute Pitch listeners in recognizing transposed melodies
could be accounted for by their high reliance on the Absolute Pitch coding strategy. The strong
tendency of Absolute Pitch listeners to use Absolute Pitch even when it is ineffective, as in the
case of recognizing transposed melodies, suggests that the Absolute Pitch mode may be so
automatic for Absolute Pitch listeners that they are not able to switch to the Relative Pitch
mode that suppresses Absolute Pitch."
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

I have attempted four times and cannot get that thing to run through a whole test on my phone. They need to fire whoever was in charge of the programming on that site.
Ben