Cornell Legacy Fuzz

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Doc Holliday

Re: Cornell Legacy Fuzz

Post by Doc Holliday »

1bottlerocket wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:33 am
Doc Holliday wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 pm Yeah.... shame. That’s some silly pricing for a Cornell

His first fuzz units with NKT275’s go for £200 used
I could not believe the pricing, it's as much or more than some of his amps. Was that you on IG, Doc? I first saw it on the Cornell IG page. I went to his website and saw the shop. I am also surprised there are no gut shots, it's not like the circuit is some sort of proprietary secret. :hmm:
Yeah it was me.
Guys from what I can see in Doc X picture these seem to be left over pcb boards from his first fuzz. The NKT’s are genuine. But those first fuzz pedals again are like £200 if you can hold out for one. Some people have stuck them up for silly prices and they’ve sat there for months.
This was my 2nd Cornell I had
Attachments
89627B15-A2D8-4F28-9168-5D58C751E7F2.jpeg
89627B15-A2D8-4F28-9168-5D58C751E7F2.jpeg (161.97 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Pahathuasyndicate

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

By no means am I agreeing with pricing- who knows what the real reasons are behind this little run.

But if a Tonebender can be sold for £900 or £750 then why not a fuzz face for £700 also?

Precedents have been set, just saying 🤷‍♂️
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

In the words of my fore fathers ‘fuck that shit’
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

With the tonebenders....assuming you mean Sola MKI etc, there’s a hefty price already getting the boxes built like the originals and harder to source components used.

These Cornell ones look like a regular off the shelf box and pcb boards like Analogman would use.... 2nd hand 275 Sunfaces are sitting about £4-500 on Reverb. I don’t get the pricing here :hmm:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Pahathuasyndicate wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 am By no means am I agreeing with pricing- who knows what the real reasons are behind this little run.

But if a Tonebender can be sold for £900 or £750 then why not a fuzz face for £700 also?

Precedents have been set, just saying 🤷‍♂️
If you mean Sola MKI and green bastards then I don’t think these can be compared to them, even they were a tad overpriced in my book but can understand it when you have a builder building for a shop then there is always going to be a mark up. But even I know tuning a MKI is a lot harder than a fuzz face and the enclosures etc are a huge step up from that thing above

No disrespect meant to anyone
’brutish in character but not thug like’
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

^snap
Pahathuasyndicate

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

I 100% agree^ But the point is once the precedents are set other folk are going to try their luck. That’s what this looks like to me. It looks like it’s a charge of £300 per transistor!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I can only assume but my guess is during a clean out Dennis came across some unused first fuzz PCB boards from his first fuzz run. Plus some NKT’s that probably were discarded during that run or were again found unused in a box.
I agree that NKT275’s are pricey these days but I think he’s really taking the piss.
People will buy them. Can guarantee it but imo they are not worth it especially as I mentioned you can buy this circuit used a lot cheaper in a different housing.

I think comparing a Cornell pedal to a Sola is unfair to Dennis.
I like his products but this is the man that told us when he supervised and over saw the workmanship of the Arbiter fuzz faces back in the day they all had AC128’s.
Then when he reissued them during the late 90s some of the transistors I believe we’re soldered in backwards.
This is not a man I trust with memory or design on the fuzz face circuit.
Again I had 2 pedals and really liked them. They were worth the £100-£200 I paid. But stick an extra £500 for a fancy box?? Naa.
He is making a clone and a good one. Sola is the real shit :freakout:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Or as Nick said... let’s hope it’s not these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254481086980
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:48 am People will buy them.
It will be interesting to see who actually does, would sit nicely next to their Texan Twang