Reverb Fees Increase

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

1bottlerocket

Reverb Fees Increase

Post by 1bottlerocket »

What do you guys make of the Reverb fee from 3.5% to 5% increase? This coupled with them not taking PayPal anymore sure looks like they are raking in the cash. I wonder if eBay will follow suit and raise their fees back up to match.

I was surprised. I will probably still sell on Reverb, as you get a good audience and I have only ever encountered minor flakes when selling gear.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
innerflight

Re: Reverb Fees Increase

Post by innerflight »

It’s still better than eBay’s rates, though if you wait eBay do special weekends where they have no fees for listings, that’s quite good if you’re selling something ‘big’

But yeah Reverb are getting worse in my book in terms of buyers, I’ve had more problems than eBay. Things like a guy wanting to return a fuzz because it didn’t sound like what he thought it would sound like :doh: suck it up son was my response :hihi:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

I generally stick with eBay. I pay no listing fees and they fairly regularly do offers. Most recent one was 2% selling fee. Can’t really argue with that.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

IDK I'm just glad I'm done buying and trying gear. I use to sell a lot on ebay but then it completely nosedived 5-7 years ago and I couldn't sell shit so I moved to Reverb. As far as buying, there's not as much cool stuff on ebay anymore, its all on Reverb. It sucks because Reverb has such a huge market share of buyers opposed to buy/sell/trading forums.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Darth Sabbathi

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Wait, what? They're not taking PayPal anymore? I saw the fee increase, but didn't see that. I'm no fan of PayPal, but it is currently my only option for selling on Reverb... I can't set up Reverb Payments in my country. Are they offering some alternative?
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

innerflight wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:33 am It’s still better than eBay’s rates.
Maybe its different in the UK/EU but theyre the same here. eBay is like 7% for everything BUT music gear which is 3.5% to be competitive with Reverb. Though what Tim said will probably happen where Ebay will raise their fees up to match. I have heard nothing about them not taking Paypal anymore, though....is there a source for that?

On another forum someone was questing whether Ebay staying at 3.5% would make people jump ship back to Ebay and this was my response:
Eh...Ebay would still have to do a lot of work that they're not really prepared for to match the functionality of Reverb. Reverb has more built-in categories and model information that is all very gear specific, making it easy for you to search and find specifically what you're looking for and not get mislead. Its similar to what you'd call "expert system" software (Turbo Tax, for example) that provides some knowledge aspect to the interface and searching...a tech in a box. An uber-example of that in the online retailing of used items is Discogs where they have a VERY full database of records etc to make sure you're getting exactly what you want, what pressing, vinyl color, etc at appropriate prices. You can still buy records on Ebay but they have nowhere near that kind of functionality. In fact, I see that as a pattern that Ebay cant really avoid where individual markets (gear, records, clothing, etc) develop their own limited platforms with better functionality and steal markets from Ebay. Equate it to going to a bike shop to buy a bike versus going to WalMart to buy one...one is just better equipped with knowledge and thats worth something, even if it costs more.

Of course thats mostly all from the buyer's perspective and they dont pay the fees....but if there are more buyers on Reverb then thats where you probably ought to sell.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

we pay 10% in the uk on Ebay fees
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

innerflight wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 pm we pay 10% in the uk on Ebay fees
pothole

Post by pothole »

I've been having decent luck just selling on the forums and haven't had to sell on Reverb or Ebay in several years thankfully. I've really culled my gear down though and don't buy and sell even close to what I used to do.
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

1bottlerocket wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:13 am This coupled with them not taking PayPal anymore sure looks like they are raking in the cash.
I guess you mean Paypal credit ?
You still can pay via Paypal I think.
Raf