Replacement Jazzmaster pickups - experiences and recommendations?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

burgersalad14

Re: Replacement Jazzmaster pickups - experiences and recommendations?

Post by burgersalad14 »

HorseyBoy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:20 am
burgersalad14 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:49 am No worries! Also one thing to note about Mick, if you aren’t happy with the pickups send them back and he will make it work for you. He puts that option on the table from the get go. That’s extremely hard to beat, especially in Australia. I have trouble buying pickups elsewhere now.
Thanks, mate - really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction (although I still can't believe I didn't think of Mick myself). I've now dropped him a line. The JazzDoctor might be a little too hot and "modern" for what I have in mind, so maybe one of his other sets will do the job. Still love the idea of a WRHB that will fit the JM route, but another part of me figures I should keep it as "Jazzmaster-ish" as possible. Excited about the idea of a usable bridge pickup! :cheers:
No worries, my set measures 7.6k Neck 8.2k Bridge
pulse.

Post by pulse. »

I have antiquities I on my jazzmaster since 2008 and never bothered to try anything else.
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

My brother has Antiquities in his JM and loves them. He did tell me there's a caveat to them though, it seems the winds can differ and the Duncan packaging includes an impedance note. It's well worth asking your dealer if they can match a pair. I think Curtis Novak wrote something about this a while ago.
upstateanalog

Post by upstateanalog »

I swear by Pickup Wizard’s Jazzmaster pickups. Email Peter with your concerns, and what you’re looking for tonally.

thepickupwizard@hotmail.com
daCod

Post by daCod »

upstateanalog wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:37 am I swear by Pickup Wizard’s Jazzmaster pickups. Email Peter with your concerns, and what you’re looking for tonally.

thepickupwizard@hotmail.com
110% this :tu:

Had a set of his in my old Daphne Blue build I put together. Best sounding JM I have ever played.

Have the specs somewhere. Need to dig them up...
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Thanks, guys. So many good options. I'm going to try to keep things local (in Oz), not least because shipping anything internationally is hugely annoying right now.

Funny that I've realised I want a Jazzmaster that still sounds like a Jazzmaster, but not so much like a Jazzmaster that it's painful on my ears.
spofftastic

Post by spofftastic »

HorseyBoy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:36 am Thanks, guys. So many good options. I'm going to try to keep things local (in Oz), not least because shipping anything internationally is hugely annoying right now.

Funny that I've realised I want a Jazzmaster that still sounds like a Jazzmaster, but not so much like a Jazzmaster that it's painful on my ears.
This was my exact thought on my Classic Player Jazzmaster when upgrading from the stock pickups. I found Alnico II a better fit for this. Ended up getting Antiquity I Duncan’s, they are staying there! I also found pickup height was a huge factor for my Jazzy - I have them more backed off for sure.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Quick update on this: following the advice of burgersalad14 and others and some back and forth emailing with Mick Brierley, I've gone with a set of his JazzDoctors. Might take a while to get them in there though because he, like everyone else, is struggling with delays etc due to COVID-19. Of note, the Pickup Wizard is temporarily shutdown.
Will update the thread when I can.
chatmatt

Post by chatmatt »

Late to the party AND tooting my own horn, but .....

https://www.protoguitars.com/shop/widerangejazzmaster
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

chatmatt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 am Late to the party AND tooting my own horn, but .....

https://www.protoguitars.com/shop/widerangejazzmaster
Pretty nice horn to toot, Matt!