Moderator: The Captain

Francus1971

Re: Eddie Van Halen RIP.....

Post by Francus1971 »

My personal GOD :cry2:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

I only found out that I hold a guitar pick the "wrong" way by reading about EVH holding his the same way (thumb and middle finger). Weirdly enough, I hold my women the same way…
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Having worked in a music shop for 39 years I've probably heard Eruption played badly more than I should have . I actually played it a really badly myself in the 80s !

But , Ive just listened to EVH play it again and I was right back to when I first ever heard Van Halen .

There was a train strike in London so I was staying at Billl Leisegang's house because I couldn't get home . Bill was working at Macaris and had formed a band with Bruce Dickinson ( he'd later go on to play with a crazy list of artists ) he was and still is an amazing guitarist . Believe it or not we used to perform as a duo - 'Ant and Bill' !!!

So , Bill had just installed these enormous speakers in his living room - he couldn't afford carpet or wallpaper but he had these ludicrous speakers and record deck

So he put on Runnin' with the Devil - that was my first experience of Van Halen - guitar sounds I'd never heard before at extreme volume . The the next track came on - Eruption - game over !!

A few years ago someone posted a pic of Van Halen in the studio and there was a Supa Tone Bender on the floor . . . .very proud of that one

RIP EVH
Fishleehooker

Post by Fishleehooker »

I am really having trouble putting into words just how great and important I think Eddie is and was. I actually think he was somehow criminally underrated. I think history will show him as a Mozart type as far as Hard rock n roll is concerned. I hope so at least. He meant the world to me.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I must admit Eddie, was far more technically able than I could ever be. I could never aspire to play anywhere near the way he could.
Although he wasn’t a guitar hero of mine per se I completely concur and agree that like people like Hendrix, Clapton he changed guitar in a way for the next guitar hero generation. The solo in MJ’s beat it is one of the best of all time!
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

RIP ERDDIE the KING of Tone and Melodic ROCK
withTaste and pure joy
gone to soon
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have seen Van Halen 5 times over the years. One constant in every show was how EVH would play with such ridiculous talent. My older brother took me to see them in 1978 and I became a fan ever since. He was the main reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. It was pretty shocking to hear of his passing.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty