I Hate Technology

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Big Monk

I Hate Technology

Post by Big Monk »

I am a practicing electrical engineer and I am a technical guy but damnit I hate technology sometimes.

I recently updated my IPad Instagram app and it seems I had an older version before they switched to the non-linear/non-chronological algorithm. I’m at a point where I think I may stop using it.

Anyone have any hacks for getting g content chronological again? Google has told me this is not possible and I don’t have a backup of my iPad with an older version.

It stinks because Instagram was the last social media I used. It seems I was blissfully unaware of what a profound change I accidentally updated into.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon…”
so&so

Re: I Hate Technology

Post by so&so »

I don’t think there is any way to revert to a chronological feed. I’m not a fan of the current format either.
mythoughtcrime

Post by mythoughtcrime »

Current format is not winning me over either.
Big Monk

Post by Big Monk »

It was startling.

I don’t follow much (< 80 accounts) but since a few days ago it’s a mix of things happening right now and shit I already saw 2 weeks ago.

It makes zero sense and I’m upset I updated it. I may just have to pare down my follows to essentials and see how that goes.

Evidently this titanic shift on algorithm happened in 2017 and I just never updated between them and now.
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

It stopped being chronological a LONG time ago... but for some reason the past week or two it has been extra shitty about showing you the same things over and over. It used to reach a point where it said “you’re all caught up!” but that seems to be broken now.
Big Monk

Post by Big Monk »

tigerdriver wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:17 am It stopped being chronological a LONG time ago... but for some reason the past week or two it has been extra shitty about showing you the same things over and over. It used to reach a point where it said “you’re all caught up!” but that seems to be broken now.

I haven’t updated since 2017 so you can imagine my shock.
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

If it’s any consolation, Facebook (who bought/ruined IG) might be forced to sell it off by the government.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Just delete it, your life would be so much better :badteeth:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I just bought a film camera so....that's where i'm at with technology.
Big Monk

Post by Big Monk »

innerflight wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:42 pm Just delete it, your life would be so much better :badteeth:
I follow so little that I would say it enhances life in a small way. I agree with you though ultimately in that little or no social media is the way.

I guess I could just get my fuzz fix here!