“Truth” Tones (Slight Return)...

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Big Monk

“Truth” Tones (Slight Return)...

Post by Big Monk »

I’m a big fan of “Truth” by the JBG. One of the driving forces in me even being interested in a Fuzz was his supposed use of the Supafuzz on this album. Once I found out about the close lineage between then SF and MK II, I started to become very interested.

One of the things I love is being able to pick out specific pieces of equipment in the sonic soup of my favorite records. I have the reissue CD version of “Truth” and the alternate take of “You Shook Me” is notable:

Without some of the studio effects clouding the sonic space, it seems to me you get a lot more of the raw fuzz sound here. To me, I’m definitely hearing fuzz from the Tone Bender family. Not that I’m surprised but it’s always cool to get validation.

The rawer version of “Blues Deluxe” and the double time version “Rock my Plimsoul” are also interesting but “You Shook Me” really shows the fuzz front and center.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon…”
fernieite

Re: “Truth” Tones (Slight Return)...

Post by fernieite »

Yep, good stuff! Jeff Beck was definitely a fantastic pioneer of fuzz. :freakout:

Which wah pedal was using back then?
Last edited by fernieite on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Jeff was in fucking awesome form in 1968! I think his live playing at the time is even more exciting than the studio sessions...

I always assumed it was some sort of MKII on Truth. Jeff was pictured/filmed at various points with Sola-built Supas in both narrow and wide-knob enclosures, as well as with a Marshall-built Supa. I'm not sure if the Marshall-built model was available in early 1968 though. He also used cast Tone Benders during the mid/late-60s, but the sound is really all in the fingers.
Bolero always seemed like a MKI to me, because the track predates the MKII and Supa MKI, from what we understand of the pedal-timeline, but I learned recently that he might've used a MK1.5 on Roger the Engineer... :hmm:
Big Monk

Post by Big Monk »

fernieite wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:04 pm Yep, good stuff! Jeff Beck was definitely a fantastic pioneer of fuzz. :freakout:

Which wah pedal was using back then?
A Vox of some sort. I have not dug that deep into the wah side but I have to imagine it is a Clyde or Italian Vox.

I’m trying to design a new board for mine in Diptrace. I have a Sabbadius Halo and other mojo parts but am also putting a fixed wah together in a normal box with switchable Fasel inductors.

I need to get another one of my Valeton delays so I can switch easily between reverse and the others.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon…”