Love of fuzz vs Money

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

S. Lee

Re: Love of fuzz vs Money

Post by S. Lee »

The prices of fuzz pedals these days are really insane. I don't think it was like this until last year. I'll keep holding my pedals.
univalve

Post by univalve »

My 2 cent: I almost never sell stuff - luck of my life probably that I needn't to. So I have all those nice fuzzes that I wanted here. If something doesn't feel right I still advertise it here first (so perhaps also the Boss Tone Bender because I'm not really the MKII guy). I owe this forum that behavior of mine imo. And I always try to find a fair price around the term "what I paid". But you can always make a cheaper offer. Better the fuzz stays in the family than 30 EUR more and an asshole has it...

I still would be in the market to buy some new stuff but Pigdog flies out the door before I'm able to order and the Brexit makes the pedals (and don't forget the hassle with the customs - at least here in Germany) not cheaper nor easier to get.

And like it was mentioned: there are up and coming builders. I will try there perhaps something soon too. There is not a thing like too much fuzz.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

I just don't see the point in paying (or asking) a grand for a new production pedal as to me that's vintage money. And even when going above half of that it's starting to weed out the actual players from those who end up with them.
Condolences, the bums lost!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah , how much extra tone are you getting for the extra few hundred you may be charged?
Custom enclosures, screen printing, nos parts, rare parts etc sure . It bumps the price up but I must admit paying £400-£500 for new production fuzz these days when there is so much variety at great prices... it’s not for me.
Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

I may be lucky but I think 400 -450 quid for a Sola Sound pedal made by DAM is an absolute bargain . For what you got .....the MK 1 reissue bought through Macari music was a bargain too.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Anything over £400 is considered top of the range for me nowadays, £900 + for the MKI’s was a shock I have to admit

I also like to know that a builder is comparing it to an original unit like when you buy from Stu etc you know they are building to match their originals, can’t quite get my head round paying a grand for something that has been built from a schematic or they’re copying a Sola (or whatever) pedal
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

innerflight wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:44 pm Anything over £400 is considered top of the range for me nowadays, £900 + for the MKI’s was a shock I have to admit

I also like to know that a builder is comparing it to an original unit like when you buy from Stu etc you know they are building to match their originals, can’t quite get my head round paying a grand for something that has been built from a schematic or they’re copying a Sola (or whatever) pedal
That’s a big topic.
Dam, Stu, Jerms, Pigdog have their originals or the possibility to borrow from collectors.
How about the others?
I can’t know and speak for all of them because I don’t know 🙂
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

At least the discussion about the topic above on TGP is a ridiculous shitshow. "Oh he must've had dozens..."

If a no name johnny-come-lately gets his hands on an original, does it automatically make him legit? Or are the MKIs Jim built before he got his old doorstop somehow inferior and somehow worth less? I think not. Or should Steve be allowed to make a killer sounding MKI without having an original?
Condolences, the bums lost!
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Laundromat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:34 pm At least the discussion about the topic above on TGP is a ridiculous shitshow. "Oh he must've had dozens..."

If a no name johnny-come-lately gets his hands on an original, does it automatically make him legit? Or are the MKIs Jim built before he got his old doorstop somehow inferior and somehow worth less? I think not. Or should Steve be allowed to make a killer sounding MKI without having an original?
IMO it’s important for a builder to be able to spend some time with the “real deal”, plus the ability to listen carefully and the ability to put all the right pieces of the puzzle together and replicate, or deliberately make some tweaks.
With all the respect for all the builders out there, I think that is not a easy task, but fortunately there are enough of them to “feed” the fuzz maniacs of the world. 🙂
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I don’t have an issue with people making MKI’s or MKII’s, I do have an issue with them selling for a grand
’brutish in character but not thug like’