Design Flaw or Vintage Correct?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

CraigBeckGuitar

Design Flaw or Vintage Correct?

Post by CraigBeckGuitar »

Looking for the wisdom of forum members.

I purchased a Fuzz Face replica...hand wired, point to point, top notch construction. The pedal drains the battery to less than 1 volt within 1 month even though no cables are plugged in except during the 1 hour per month of use. This has happened for 3 months in a row.

When I contacted the builder and explained the problem, his reply was "this is normal for vintage type circuits and that I have to understand that it is a handmade pedal. If you leave any electrical device with the batteries in it, and do not use it much, the batteries will drain". His solution was for me to unscrew the back and remove the battery after each use.

I have other Fuzz Face clones from DAM, Pigdog, Blackstrap Electric...each of these has had the same battery for over 1 year.

Has anyone had this issue occur or heard of this issue occurring?
HorseyBoy

Re: Design Flaw or Vintage Correct?

Post by HorseyBoy »

My guess is it's wired incorrectly so that the battery is always on - not just when the input jack in inserted. Had this issue on an old DeArmond wah, which was wired incorrectly at the switch at the factory. If you post a gut shot I reckon one of our resident builders will spot the problem.
CraigBeckGuitar

HorseyBoy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:09 am My guess is it's wired incorrectly so that the battery is always on - not just when the input jack in inserted. Had this issue on an old DeArmond wah, which was wired incorrectly at the switch at the factory. If you post a gut shot I reckon one of our resident builders will spot the problem.
Great idea! Thanks HorseyBoy.
IMG_1917.jpeg
IMG_1917.jpeg (635.02 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Ben
pagan

Post by pagan »

The input jack socket is the wrong type (mono). It’s just got connections for tip and sleeve, so it’s not connecting and disconnecting the battery. The red (positive) wire from the battery is constantly connected to ground through the two jack sockets, so the battery stays connected.
Instagram @paganfuzz
simonm

Post by simonm »

pagan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 am The input jack socket is the wrong type (mono)... so the battery stays connected.
yep - builder is either an idiot (this is one of the first things you learn) or just ran out of stereo jacks and thought they could get away with it - not a good sign either way.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Spook

Post by Spook »

This happened to me too, fortunately the builder took the pedal back an installed stereo jacks at no cost, the pedal did have
9v jack too...so i guess he did not think i would use battery.

Who's the builder ?
:pazuzu:
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

Plus he's used fake NKT275 trannies - hope you didn't pay a lot for it.
CraigBeckGuitar

Spook wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 am This happened to me too, fortunately the builder took the pedal back an installed stereo jacks at no cost, the pedal did have
9v jack too...so i guess he did not think i would use battery.

Who's the builder ?
Jorge at Sound Louder pedals.

https://reverb.com/shop/soundlouder
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

pagan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 am The input jack socket is the wrong type (mono). It’s just got connections for tip and sleeve, so it’s not connecting and disconnecting the battery. The red (positive) wire from the battery is constantly connected to ground through the two jack sockets, so the battery stays connected.
Even I know that. Builder should be ashamed of himself.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys