New amp for giggin'

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Dullboy

New amp for giggin'

Post by Dullboy »

Hello there,
I know it's still a little bit early for gigs, but they are slowly comin'.

I'm using mainly a Music Man RD65 1x12, it has been this way for many years now and I'm fine with that, it's a tank!!!
Anyway I'm thinking about changing a bit my setup buying a pure valve combo amp, Fenderish blackface sound based, with master volume, reverb, 15-30ish wattage, not too heavy, reliable, good with pedals.

Do you have any suggestions? Am I asking too much? :marx:
Lots of requests, but I'm curious to hear some advices.
Thanks. :freakout:
Daniele
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Zacharia Matilda

Re: New amp for giggin'

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

What’s your budget?

Why not a vintage blackface or silverface Fender? If it’s the sound you’re looking for I’d go straight to the source. Maybe a Deluxe? Or Deluxe Reverb?
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Zacharia Matilda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:02 pm What’s your budget?

Why not a vintage blackface or silverface Fender? If it’s the sound you’re looking for I’d go straight to the source. Maybe a Deluxe? Or Deluxe Reverb?
I think a lot about vintage Deluxe Reverb.
It’s one of my dream amp, but it’s on the expensive side, plus I should find one ready and checked, recapped, new tubes and possibly with new speaker.
Here in Italy I could find vintage ones for about 2800/3000€ maybe.
I’m thinking also about boutique amp like Tone King, Carr, Victoria, Dr Z, Magnatone, Supro?

I’m also interested in new Fender production (no digital), which should work just fine. Backline are often Fenders!
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

I don’t have a precise budget ehehe
That’s because I hope I sell some stuff for that purchase (other amps and guitars) 🙂
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb. Here is one in Italy:
https://reverb.com/item/37260906-fender ... 2013-black
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

I just looked through the amps for sale in Italy on Reverb as well to see what’s available and what people are asking. Always seems like there are nice Voxes in Italy.

That Vibrolux looks like a great option for the price. The only other one I saw was that Pro Reverb from ‘77.

https://reverb.com/item/38720294-fender ... rface-1977

That would be a great amp to gig with. It’s a little spendy but if there is any way you could manage to get your hands on it that would be my choice. How close are you to Bergamo? The seller is taking offers! :marx:

I don’t know anything about the other amps you mentioned. I’m sure they are great amps but that Pro Reverb could last you a lifetime. The listing says 70 watts but I don’t think that’s correct. I think it’s closer to 35-40, which is a little bigger than you mentioned you were looking for, but it’s got a a master volume.

Good luck and let us know which way you go. Amp shopping is fun.
Last edited by Zacharia Matilda on Wed May 26, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
1976@metal

Post by 1976@metal »

I've recently got a Dr Z Maz 38 that I'm loving so far (although only home use so far ) takes pedals like champ.
I think most of Gearmandudes pedal demos are shot with Dr Z amps if there on your radar and want a reference point
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Zacharia Matilda wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 pm I just looked through the amps for sale in Italy on Reverb as well to see what’s available and what people are asking. Always seems like there are nice Voxes in Italy.

That Vibrolux looks like a great option for the price. The only other one I saw was that Pro Reverb from ‘77.

https://reverb.com/item/38720294-fender ... rface-1977

That would be a great amp to gig with. It’s a little spendy but if there is any way you could manage to get your hands on it that would be my choice. How close are you to Bergamo? The seller is taking offers! :marx:

I don’t know anything about the other amps you mentioned. I’m sure they are great amps but that Pro Reverb could last you a lifetime. The listing says 70 watts but I don’t think that’s correct. I think it’s closer to 35-40, which is a little bigger than you mentioned you were looking for, but it’s got a a master volume.

Good luck and let us know which way you go. Amp shopping is fun.
Yeah thanks!
That Pro Reverb looks cool, but HEAVY ahaha. Plus I don't live near Bergamo, it's almost 4 hour away by car.
Cheers :wink2:
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

1976@metal wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:21 pm I've recently got a Dr Z Maz 38 that I'm loving so far (although only home use so far ) takes pedals like champ.
I think most of Gearmandudes pedal demos are shot with Dr Z amps if there on your radar and want a reference point
A friend of mine told me they are very loud, very powerful.
Is that right?
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1976@metal

Post by 1976@metal »

Dullboy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:44 pm
1976@metal wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:21 pm I've recently got a Dr Z Maz 38 that I'm loving so far (although only home use so far ) takes pedals like champ.
A friend of mine told me they are very loud, very powerful.
Is that right?
In my limited experience I'd say that sounds about right. I reckon the Maz 18watt would plenty load enough for most applications