New amp for giggin'

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

pothole

Re: New amp for giggin'

Post by pothole »

I have a silverface deluxe reverb I'm not using anymore, but the shipping from Idaho would be a deal killer!

I ran an old Pro Reverb for years, it was a beast to haul around. Sounded great though.

If you can find one, give a Budda Superdrive 18 or 30 a go. I have had a few and keep coming back to them, and am running one now. I like the original Series 1 versions since they are handwired turret construction, not really because of tone, I'm just a geek that way. And they can be had for under $1000, at least over here. Really under valued in my opinion and amazing amps.
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

What stuff will you be playing?
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Bigfoot2000 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:09 pm What stuff will you be playing?
Eveything from jazz, black/roots music, reggae...
No metal.
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Can you get Traynor where you are?
Traynor YGM-3 would suit you. The vintage ones are great, and until recently could be had for dirt cheap where I am. people are catching on and they've gone up, but still not as much as Fenders and they reissued them a few years ago.
I used to have 3 of them, and a bunch of the Bass Master amps too. Still go a couple.

Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

devnulljp wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:11 pm Can you get Traynor where you are?
Traynor YGM-3 would suit you. The vintage ones are great, and until recently could be had for dirt cheap where I am. people are catching on and they've gone up, but still not as much as Fenders and they reissued them a few years ago.
I used to have 3 of them, and a bunch of the Bass Master amps too. Still go a couple.

I don’t know them. I’ll try to learn something about’em
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I'll second the Traynor recommendation. The original idea behind them was to provide Fender and Marshall circuits at a lower price point.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Dullboy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:52 pm
No metal.
Can’t go wrong with a nice Fender amp, although you have said you want master volume. Have you tried the old Mesa Boogie mk2s or the Mesa dual Caliber DC5 amps? Lovely Fendery tones in those 6L6 amps and they have master volume so they get nice and crunchy preamp dirt without being too loud (although they can make your ears bleed if needed). They dig pedals and are built like tanks, the spring reverb in them is ok. The 90s DC5 amps go for about £600 here in the UK. They’re a bit heavy mind you
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Bigfoot2000 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:42 am
No metal.
Can’t go wrong with a nice Fender amp, although you have said you want master volume. Have you tried the old Mesa Boogie mk2s or the Mesa dual Caliber DC5 amps? Lovely Fendery tones in those 6L6 amps and they have master volume so they get nice and crunchy preamp dirt without being too loud (although they can make your ears bleed if needed). They dig pedals and are built like tanks, the spring reverb in them is ok. The 90s DC5 amps go for about £600 here in the UK. They’re a bit heavy mind you
Does the mk2 have a particular model name?
DC5 is 50w. I saw there is also DC3...how about that?
Thanks!!!
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Dullboy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:27 am
Bigfoot2000 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:42 am
No metal.
Does the mk2 have a particular model name?
DC5 is 50w. I saw there is also DC3...how about that?
Thanks!!!
There are a few different iterations of the mk2 but I think they are all 6L6 amps. Some cool creamy white tolex versions out there!

I think the DC3 has EL84s. I have a Boogie Studio Caliber DC2 amp with EL84s and the cleans can be fendery to voxy, the EQ is very powerful. If you put the master volume down and the channel volume up you can really boost the preamp and you get a lovely crunch which can be EQd to sound “British” or “American”. It loves fuzz pedals too.

Well worth checking these amps out. They are deceivingly loud and can drive a 4x12 too, but they can be used at low levels because of the master volume so perfect for really small venues too. The whole DC series is really cool and you can pick them up cheap.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

The amp I just finished up (https://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 01#p364101) would fit your needs perfectly but alas, i think the shipping to Italy would be insane.