first amp for son

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Gemma Thrush

first amp for son

Post by Gemma Thrush »

Can anyone recommend a decent first amp for someone who's 12?

I'm thinking 5w or so as opposed to full Marshall stack - but something that still sounds good with a Vox Tonebender.
Dr Tony Balls

Re: first amp for son

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Depends on what you want to spend or how much you want to hunt for something used and cool, but for new stuff I just went to Sweetwater and did Amps > Combo Amps > Tube > Under 20W and there's tons of decent options for not much coin. Vox AC4 1x12, Fender Bassbreaker 007 1x10, Fender Pro Jr is a bit more powerful but a great sounding amp.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Reasonably impressed with the Boss KTN-MINI over the Blackstar Fly and Orange Crush Mini if you're looking at low-watt battery/DC practice amps,
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

Thanks @Dr Tony Balls.

For money I'm guessing something under £100 / USD130 / EUR120.

I don't have much of an idea what new amps sound like, so all recommendations would be welcome. The alternative is he ends up with my Fender Pro Reverb in his bedroom, which I might end up regretting...
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

peps1 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:23 pm Reasonably impressed with the Boss KTN-MINI over the Blackstar Fly and Orange Crush Mini if you're looking at low-watt battery/DC practice amps,
Yes - was thinking along these lines. The Orange Crush Mini looks cool - is it pants though?
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

The Blackstar HT1-R is great for the price and if he starts gigging it will drive a 2x12 nicely. My friend bought one it’s sounds really good man, surprisingly good and not too boxy. I stuck it into my 2x12 with v30s and it sounded killer.

£120 used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackstar-HT ... 635-2958-0
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

Thank you Big Foot.
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Gemma Thrush wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:36 pm Thank you Big Foot.
You’re welcome.

Seriously I was so impressed at that little thing. A blues Jr killer and it’s got some nice crunch to it and takes pedals well
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Gemma Thrush wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:27 pm
peps1 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:23 pm Reasonably impressed with the Boss KTN-MINI over the Blackstar Fly and Orange Crush Mini if you're looking at low-watt battery/DC practice amps,
Yes - was thinking along these lines. The Orange Crush Mini looks cool - is it pants though?
Unfortunately, the Orange really sounds bad in comparison, though the Orange and some of the new colourway Blackstar look cool they don't sound anywhere as good as the boss Katana mini.

For under 100 quid you can get the Orange Crush 12, its a 12W with a 6" driver and would make a really good first amp if he doesn't want to run off batteries, thought I would say spend the extra £10/15? for the 8" version, the Orange Crush 20, and then you are into jamming and band practice levels of output.
eerock

Post by eerock »

Those new lunchbox style amps all sound surprisingly good at home. Boss Katana, Yamaha THR, ZT Lunchbox etc. But i'm a sucker for old gear so I'd just get an old Peavey combo like Backstage or Studio Pro with aluminum edges. Those can be easily found for that price and they sound pretty good. Easy to use too so you can focus on just playing and not scrolling through a million presets.