Gloss yellow Red Rooster OC71

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

jerms

Re: Gloss yellow Red Rooster OC71

Post by jerms »

johnson

Post by johnson »

jerms wrote:here's one FS on TGP.... :badlove: :badlove:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=776152

I believe that one was mine, she was purty :badlove:
AGuitarPlayer

Post by AGuitarPlayer »

I guess the OC71 Roosters are kind of old news at this point, but I recently acquired one of these in a trade (thanks Tom) and it really is amazing. I had been kicking myself for passing on one of the candy apple ones when they came up for sale on Downstroke, so I was stoked to pick this up.

Great "Sister Ray" rhythm sound and it picks up some crazy as hell sizzle after a fuzzbox, which had me wondering whether the Velvets used a treble booster on the White Light/White Heat record. I just did a google search and supposedly they used a Vox midrange boost and Tone Bender. Makes sense after playing through the Rooster.

Anyway, great job Linzi! This is one helluva stompbox!
psycho*daisies

Re:

Post by psycho*daisies »

AGuitarPlayer wrote:I guess the OC71 Roosters are kind of old news at this point, but I recently acquired one of these in a trade (thanks Tom) and it really is amazing. I had been kicking myself for passing on one of the candy apple ones when they came up for sale on Downstroke, so I was stoked to pick this up.

Great "Sister Ray" rhythm sound and it picks up some crazy as hell sizzle after a fuzzbox, which had me wondering whether the Velvets used a treble booster on the White Light/White Heat record. I just did a google search and supposedly they used a Vox midrange boost and Tone Bender. Makes sense after playing through the Rooster.

:tu:

i wonder if they got an endorsement deal with Vox, where a bunch of gear was given to them.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
AGuitarPlayer

Re: Re:

Post by AGuitarPlayer »

psycho*daisies wrote:

i wonder if they got an endorsement deal with Vox, where a bunch of gear was given to them.
I think they did.

Here's a pretty extensive Lou Reed eqpt list:
http://ww21.tiki.ne.jp/~wildside/gear.htm

Looks like I initially read this wrong and Lou used an amp which was modified with a midrange boost rather than a outboard unit.

I wonder if the Tone Bender was actually a Vox since the list has Mick Ronson using a Vox Tone Bender on Transformer which was obviously not the case.
imsilly

Re: Re:

Post by imsilly »

psycho*daisies wrote:
AGuitarPlayer wrote:I guess the OC71 Roosters are kind of old news at this point, but I recently acquired one of these in a trade (thanks Tom) and it really is amazing. I had been kicking myself for passing on one of the candy apple ones when they came up for sale on Downstroke, so I was stoked to pick this up.

They definitely did, I read they were quite proud of the fact and if you look at them performing before that it is all old Brown Fenders they seem to be plugged into. I get the impression though that they would have sounded like they did either way. I know their producers were definitely going for a healthy amount of noise on their records quite deliberately and they had a lot of cool noise makers back then. Still love everything by the Velvets, Lou Reed and Nico. So ahead of their time really.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

from that equipt list it looks like they got:
Vox Phantom VI guitar
Vox Phantom IV bass
Vox Tone Bender
Vox Super Beatle amp

and I'm guessing, possibly a Vox Continental combo organ (Sister Ray & others)
It says they got this gear before the 1st album, that would have been...1966. I kinda doubt that.
(Why would Vox give an endorsement deal to an unknown unrecorded group?)
Plus in those photos (Exploding Plastic inevitable etc)
It's still the Fender brownface Deluxe, Silvertone 1484, Gretsch and Guyatone/or whatever...(no Vox gear) and the first album
may have a lot of noisy guitar, but i think that's just overdriven amps, no fuzz...right?

I bet they got the Vox gear sometime in '67 and used it on White Light/White Heat sessions..This would probably be one of the early Tone Benders made in Italy by Jen.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...