strat, scallops and new tuning Gb, Gb, Db Gb, Bb Eb

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

joegagan

Re: strat, scallops and new tuning Gb, Gb, Db Gb, Bb Eb

Post by joegagan »

Yes, giving up picks is a big commitment. You lose speed, some of it may never come back, but what you gain in expressiveness and uniqueness is worth it imo.

The scallops are easy, I use a light touch anyway. One trick that helps even more is touching the string down right on the backside :of the metal of the fret, keeps it from sinking in.

The expressiveness upside is immense. Vibrato is better, and my multi string bending , even the ones that bend toward floor or ceiling ( not into the scallop) are easier without the fretboard wood to drag on.
Going to convert all my guitars to scalloped, even some new ones I have been wanting to build.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

Another video, from before the crazy tuning, explaining the features and showing some tones. Same two amps as before.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
Yggdrazil

Post by Yggdrazil »

That guitar sound amazing :crackjam:
Instagram:@Stonefly_effects

The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.>David Fair
Spook Strickland

Post by Spook Strickland »

joegagan wrote:Another video, from before the crazy tuning, explaining the features and showing some tones. Same two amps as before.

Sounds really good! Im going to have to check out a scalloped neck soon. One little piece of kit that makes my fingers style so much easier and saves my nails is a dynacomp compressor, really alows me a nice soft touch.
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

joegagan wrote:Another video, from before the crazy tuning, explaining the features and showing some tones. Same two amps as before.
You have my total respect for being able to bend a whole chord and keep it in tune! I used to own a scalloped neck strat and couldn't even keep chords in tune without pulling a note here or there out of tune when playing normally.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.