Transistor score.. what do I have?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

upstateanalog

Transistor score.. what do I have?

Post by upstateanalog »

Walked into a local knick knack shop yesterday and found a small section of old tools, bags of screws, plumbing things, etc.. I checked a few drawers and found the mother load of transistors, along with a few baggies of resistors and capacitors.

I’m unfamiliar with most of the transistors I found, and haven’t found much, if any info online. I’m wondering if anyone here might recognize any of these numbers, and know if they’d be good choices for fuzz or boost circuits.

TI GA324
RCA 35122
TI RT145
2N502A
TI 2N1307
1N429
M 1N3786B
GE 2N491A
GE RT34
GE 4JX4C719
2N1701
M 0653-1
RCA 2N5320
M 9006
M 2N2905A
2N343
GE GE-1
TI 2N1308
Dr Tony Balls

Re: Transistor score.. what do I have?

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I dont recognize any of those numbers as standard part numbers used in any classic fuzz circuits but it doesnt mean they cant be great workalikes. Got your self a Peak transistor analyzer and start sorting. You'll want to sort probably first for polarity, then type (Si/Ge), then gain and leakage.

https://www.newark.com/peak/dca55/compo ... easurement
upstateanalog

Post by upstateanalog »

Thanks! That makes sense why I haven’t found much info on them. I’m guessing based on a lot of the other components these were with, that they came out of an old TV repair shop or ham radio hobbyist. I’ve had that analyzer in my Amazon wish list for a while, might be time to finally pull the trigger.
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

I've seen 2N1307s mentioned on the forums before. Maybe try in a Supa Fuzz?

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=75575.0
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

upstateanalog wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm Thanks! That makes sense why I haven’t found much info on them. I’m guessing based on a lot of the other components these were with, that they came out of an old TV repair shop or ham radio hobbyist. I’ve had that analyzer in my Amazon wish list for a while, might be time to finally pull the trigger.
They're well worth it, imo. Super useful for sorting old germaniums.
upstateanalog

Post by upstateanalog »

resynthesis wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 am I've seen 2N1307s mentioned on the forums before. Maybe try in a Supa Fuzz?

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=75575.0
Worth a shot, thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered a pcb from Brook.

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm
upstateanalog wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm Thanks! That makes sense why I haven’t found much info on them. I’m guessing based on a lot of the other components these were with, that they came out of an old TV repair shop or ham radio hobbyist. I’ve had that analyzer in my Amazon wish list for a while, might be time to finally pull the trigger.
They're well worth it, imo. Super useful for sorting old germaniums.
Agreed, thank you. The price from them is a lot cheaper than the one I saved on Amazon.
pagan

Post by pagan »

I’ve built fuzz faces with 2N1307s, and they sound great.
Instagram @paganfuzz