Vintage guitar shops in Newark NJ and Springfield Missouri?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Dullboy

Vintage guitar shops in Newark NJ and Springfield Missouri?

Post by Dullboy »

As the topic says a friend of mine is going to the US in those two cities.
Any suggestions about cool vintage guitar shop nearby?
Cheers!
"Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it."
Thom Yorke

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Tony Balls

Re: Vintage guitar shops in Newark NJ and Springfield Missouri?

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Dullboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:44 am As the topic says a friend of mine is going to the US in those two cities.
Cheers!
Cant speak for Newark itself but if they have any amount of time Newark is a short trip to NYC which has all the vintage guitars you can shake a stick at. $2.75 and ~45min on the PATH train to Manhattan.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:37 pm
Dullboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:44 am As the topic says a friend of mine is going to the US in those two cities.
Cheers!
Cant speak for Newark itself but if they have any amount of time Newark is a short trip to NYC which has all the vintage guitars you can shake a stick at. $2.75 and ~45min on the PATH train to Manhattan.
Agree with this 100 percent. NYC is worth the trip if your bud is really into looking at vintage stuff. Retrofret, TC Crandall, Main Drag, and Pensa’s are all dope dope spots. Some of them more museums of insturments none of us will ever be able to afford…lol.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

redeyeflight wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:02 pm Some of them more museums of insturments none of us will ever be able to afford…lol.
That's Retrofret for sure, BUT they are super nice and casual about letting you play everything. The first time I went there in the middle of the room they had this beautiful Persian rug with like a dozen pre-war Martin and Gibson acoustics on display on top of it. I couldnt afford the rug, let alone any of the instruments on it.

It look like nowadays the showroom is only open by appointment, though.
Lpf4

Post by Lpf4 »

Lark Street on the NJ side is well worth the trip. Buzz's shop has been my go to spot along with lots of players in the city that make the pilgrimage. He will be tempted to part with many dollars there. http://larkstreetmusic.com/
If he's into more boutique than vintage then a little further south he can run into Relic Music. https://relicmusicshop.com/
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson
charge

Post by charge »

St Louis is about three hours to the East of Springfield. Acme and Killer Vintage are hit and miss. I’m in Kansas City which is three hours north, but I’m not aware of any shops in town that typically have anything vintage. Sometimes there are a few interesting odds and ends at Richards Music in Lawrence, KS which is another hour west of KC.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:01 pm
redeyeflight wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:02 pm Some of them more museums of insturments none of us will ever be able to afford…lol.
That's Retrofret for sure, BUT they are super nice and casual about letting you play everything. The first time I went there in the middle of the room they had this beautiful Persian rug with like a dozen pre-war Martin and Gibson acoustics on display on top of it. I couldnt afford the rug, let alone any of the instruments on it.

It look like nowadays the showroom is only open by appointment, though.
Totally…I love retrofret. Played a ‘38 Martin D-18 there that was maybe the best sounding acoustic guitar I’ve ever played. I could sell every single guitar I own and not even come close to affording it…lol.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
2guests

Post by 2guests »

"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

redeyeflight wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:52 pm Totally…I love retrofret. Played a ‘38 Martin D-18 there that was maybe the best sounding acoustic guitar I’ve ever played. I could sell every single guitar I own and not even come close to affording it…lol.
Yep, Retrofret is such a great store. With the amount and quality of guitars and amps they have, it could feel like a museum if the staff weren't so friendly. I was there with my wife and kids (who were pretty young at the time) and clearly wasn't going to buy anything, but they encouraged me to pick up, plug in and play stuff that otherwise I would have been too afraid to touch. Well worth a visit from anywhere.