Post by Rygar »

haha, I really love Beach House
HorseyBoy

Re: Songwriting duos

Post by HorseyBoy »

Bert Ohlsson

Re: Songwriting duos

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

A good songwriting trio: Lamont Dozier, Brian & Eddie Holland.
Responsible for the majority of Motown Records' songs in the 60's.

Year - - - Song title - - - Original artists - - - Covering artists

"Dearest One" - - - Lamont Dozier
"Old Love (Let's Try It Again)" - - -Mary Wells - - - Martha and the Vandellas, Four Tops
"Darling, I Hum Our Song" - - - Eddie Holland - - - Martha and the Vandellas, Four Tops

"Leaving Here" - - - Eddie Holland - - - Motörhead, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, Pearl Jam, The Birds, The Who, Brownsville Station, The Messengers, The Rationals, and The Volts
"Locking Up My Heart" - - - The Marvelettes
"What Goes Up Must Come Down" / "Come on Home" - - - Holland & Dozier
"Tie a String Around Your Finger" - - - The Marvelettes
"Come and Get These Memories" / "Jealous Lover" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - Hattie Littles, Anna King, The Supremes
"You Lost the Sweetest Boy" - - - Mary Wells - - - Dusty Springfield
"Heat Wave" / "A Love Like Yours (Don't Come Knocking Everyday)" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - The Who, Linda Ronstadt and The Jam / Dusty Springfield, Juice Newton, Ike & Tina Turner and The Animals, Phil Collins, Joan Osborne
"(He Won't Be True) Little Girl Blue" - - - The Marvelettes
"Mickey's Monkey" - - - The Miracles - - - Martha and the Vandellas, The Hollies, The Young Rascals, John Mellencamp, Mother's Finest
"Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye" / "Come on Home" - - - Gladys Horton & The Andantes - - - The Supremes
"When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" / "Standing at the Crossroads of Love" - - - The Supremes Dusty Springfield, The Zombies, Bonnie Pointer
"I Gotta Dance to Keep From Crying" - - - The Miracles - - - The High Numbers
"Quicksand" / "Darling I Hum Our Song" - - - Martha and the Vandellas
"Live Wire" /
"Old Love (Let's Try It Again)" Martha and the Vandellas
"Run, Run, Run" / "I'm Giving You Your Freedom" - - - The Supremes
"Can I Get a Witness" - - - Marvin Gaye - - - Dusty Springfield, The Rolling Stones, Sam Brown, The Steampacket, Lee Michaels, The Temptations, The Supremes, Z. Z. Hill

"A Tear from a Woman's Eyes" - - - The Temptations
"My Lady Bug Stay Away from That Beatle" - - - R. Dean Taylor
"Like a Nightmare" / "If You Were Mine" - - - The Andantes
"In My Lonely Room" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - The Supremes, The Action
"Just Ain't Enough Love" - - - Eddie Holland - - - The Isley Brothers
"Where Did Our Love Go" - - - The Supremes - - - Adam Ant, Soft Cell, Pussycat Dolls, Three Ounces of Love, The J. Geils Band, Donnie Elbert, The Manhattan Transfer
"Baby Don't You Do It" - - - Marvin Gaye - - - Small Faces, The Who, The Black Crowes, The Band, The Poets
"Guarantee (For a Lifetime)" - - - Mary Wells
"Baby I Need Your Loving" / "Call on Me" - - - Four Tops - - - Johnny Rivers, Eric Carmen, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, and Joe Stubbs / Shorty Long
"Candy to Me" / "If You Don't Want My Love" - - - Eddie Holland - - - Martha and the Vandellas, Four Tops
"Whisper You Love Me Boy" - - - Mary Wells - - - The Supremes, Chris Clark
"Baby Love" / "Ask Any Girl" - - - The Supremes - - - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Tony Martin
"Come See About Me" / "(You're Gone But) Always in My Heart" - - - The Supremes - - - The Afghan Whigs, Barbara Mason, Jr. Walker & the All Stars, Choker Campbell and Pat Lewis, Bonnie Pointer, Yo La Tengo, Mark Farner & Don Brewer
"Without the One You Love (Life's Not Worth While)" / "Love has Gone" - - - Four Tops - - - The Supremes & Four Tops
"You're a Wonderful One" - - - Marvin Gaye - - - Don Bryant, Art Garfunkel
"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" - - - Marvin Gaye - - - Jr. Walker & the All-Stars, The Elgins, James Taylor, Grateful Dead, Joan Osborne, Liz Lands, Ruby Turner, Michael Bublé

"Where Did You Go" - - - Four Tops
"Stop! In the Name of Love" / "I'm in Love Again" - - - The Supremes - - - The Hollies, Talas, Kim Weston, Gloria Gaynor, Jonell Mosser
"You've Been a Long Time Coming" - - - Marvin Gaye
"Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" - - - Brenda Holloway - - - The Supremes, The Isley Brothers
"Nowhere to Run" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - Hattie Littles, The Messengers, Tower of Power, Bonnie Pointer, Ruby Turner, Laura Nyro & Labelle
"Back in My Arms Again" / "Whisper You Love Me Boy" - - - The Supremes Genya Ravan, High Inergy
"I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" - - - Four Tops - - - The Supremes, Gloria Lynne, Bonnie Pointer, Robert Parker, Johnny Rivers, and Axe
"The Only Time I'm Happy" - - - The Supremes
"Mother Dear" (cancelled single release) / "He Holds His Own" - - - The Supremes
"Nothing but Heartaches" / "He Holds His Own" - - - The Supremes
"Love (Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - The Supremes
"It's the Same Old Song" / "Your Love Is Amazing" - - - Four Tops - - - The Supremes, KC and the Sunshine Band and Joe Stubbs
"Mother Dear" / "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" - - - The Supremes
"I Hear a Symphony" / "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" - - - The Supremes Stevie Wonder, The Isley Brothers and The Temptations, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
"Something About You" - - - Four Tops - - - Sisters Love, Byron Lee and the Dragonaires
"Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)" - - - Eddie Holland - - - The Isley Brothers, Kim Weston, Mother Earth, Jermaine Jackson, The Doobie Brothers, and Blood, Sweat & Tears
"Darling Baby" - - - The Elgins - - - Rose Banks
"There's a Ghost in My House" - - - R. Dean Taylor - - - The Fall

"(I'm a) Road Runner" - - - Jr. Walker & the All-Stars - - - Fleetwood Mac, Steppenwolf, Humble Pie, Peter Frampton, James Taylor, and Jerry Garcia
"This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)" - - - The Isley Brothers - - - The Supremes, Ronald Isley, Rod Stewart, Tammi Terrell, Byron Lee and the Dragonaires and The Contours
"Ask Any Man" - - - Tony Martin
"My World Is Empty Without You" - - - The Supremes - - - Mary Wilson, Della Reese, Diamanda Galás, The Afghan Whigs, Blackjack, Barbara McNair
"Put Yourself in My Place" - - - The Elgins - - - The Supremes, Byron Lee and the Dragonaires
"There's No Love Left" - - - The Isley Brothers
"Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over)" / "Just as Long as You Need Me" - - - Four Tops - - - The Hollies, Barbra Streisand
"Helpless" / "A Love Like Yours (Don't Come Knocking Everyday)" - - - Kim Weston
"Call on Me" - - - Shorty Long
"Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart" / "He's All I Got" - - - The Supremes
"Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" - - - The Isley Brothers
"I Like Everything About You" - - - Four Tops
"I Guess I'll Always Love You" - - - The Isley Brothers - - - The Supremes
"Nothing but Soul" - - - Jr. Walker & the All-Stars
"Love's Gone Bad" / "Put Yourself in My Place" - - - Chris Clark
"You Can't Hurry Love" / "Put Yourself in My Place" - - - The Supremes - - - Phil Collins, Stray Cats, Dixie Chicks
"Little Darling (I Need You)" - - - Marvin Gaye - - - The Doobie Brothers
"Reach Out I'll Be There" / "Until You Love Someone" - - - Four Tops - - - Diana Ross, Thelma Houston, Michael Bolton, Gloria Gaynor, Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers and Snuff
"Stay in My Lonely Arms" - - - The Elgins - - - Diana Ross & the Supremes, Four Tops
"You Keep Me Hangin' On" / "I Wanna Mother You, Smother You with Love" - - - The Supremes
"You Keep Me Hangin' On" / "Remove This Doubt" - - - The Supremes - - - Vanilla Fudge, Rod Stewart, Kim Wilde, Rose Banks, Wilson Pickett, Reba McEntire, Mary Wilson
"Standing in the Shadows of Love" / "Since You've Been Gone" - - - Four Tops - - - The Jackson 5, Joe Stubbs, Rod Stewart, Barry White and Snuff
"I'm Ready for Love" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - The Temptations, June Pointer, High Inergy
"(Come 'Round Here) I'm the One You Need" - - - The Miracles - - - The Jackson 5, The Cowsills, The GP's
"Heaven Must Have Sent You" - - - The Elgins - - - Diana Ross & the Supremes, Bonnie Pointer

"Just One Last Look" - - - Four Tops - - - The Temptations
"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" / "There's No Stopping Us Now" - - - The Supremes - - - Michael Jackson
"Your Love Is Amazing" - - - Shorty Long - - - Byron Lee and the Dragonaires
"Jimmy Mack" / "Third Finger, Left Hand" - - - Martha and the Vandellas - - - James Brown, Laura Nyro & Labelle, Bettye LaVette, Sheena Easton, Lani Hall, Bonnie Pointer
"Bernadette" / "I Got a Feeling" - - - Four Tops
"My World Is Empty Without You" - - - Barbara McNair - - - The Supremes
"The Happening" / "All I Know About You" - - - The Supremes - - - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
"Just Ain't Enough Love" - - - The Isley Brothers
"7-Rooms of Gloom" / "I'll Turn to Stone" - - - Four Tops - - - Blondie, Pat Benatar
"I Understand My Man" - - - The Elgins
"Your Unchanging Love" / "I'll Take Care of You" - - - Marvin Gaye
"Reflections" / "Going Down for the Third Time" - - - Diana Ross & the Supremes - - - Syreeta, Four Tops, The Temptations, Michael McDonald, Sweet, Luther Vandross
"One Way Out" - - - Martha and the Vandellas
"You Keep Me Running Away" / "If You Don't Want My Love" - - - Four Tops
"I Got a Feeling" - - - Barbara Randolph
"In and Out of Love" / "I Guess I'll Always Love You" - - - Diana Ross & the Supremes

"Whisper You Love Me Boy" - - - Chris Clark
"Forever Came Today" - - - Diana Ross & the Supremes - - - The Jackson 5, Commodores
"I'm in a Different World" - - - Four Tops

"We've Got a Way Out Love" - - - The Originals
"Crumbs off the Table" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - The Glass House - - - Laura Lee
"While You're Out Looking For Sugar" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - Honey Cone
"Girls It Ain't Easy (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - Honey Cone

"Give Me Just a Little More Time" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - Chairmen of the Board - - - Angela Clemmons, Kylie Minogue
"(You've Got Me) Dangling on a String" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - Chairmen of the Board
"Band of Gold" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - Freda Payne - - - Sylvester, Charly McClain, Belinda Carlisle, Bonnie Tyler and Kimberley Locke
"Westbound #9" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - The Flaming Ember

"The Day I Found Myself" (HDH as "Edythe Wayne") - - - Honey Cone
"Don't Leave Me Starvin' For Your Love" - - - Laura Lee
"Why Can't We Be Lovers"

"You're Gonna Need Me" - - - Dionne Warwick

Holland brothers without Dozier
Year - - - Song title - - - Artist

"We're Almost There" - - - Michael Jackson
"Just a Little Bit of You" - - - Michael Jackson
"Early Morning Love" - - - The Supremes
"Where Do I Go from Here" - - - The Supremes

"I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" - - - The Supremes