Lets talk compressors

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

ChrisC

Re: Lets talk compressors

Post by ChrisC »

Try Pedalgeek

says they have one in stock
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I used to have the analogman bi-comprosser...I wasn't super impressed...maybe it's just cause I kinda don't like what compressors do on guitar...I've heard good things about the dyna comp though...I'll bet the Cap'n knows what he's talking bout!!! :!:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

redeyeflight wrote:I used to have the analogman bi-comprosser...I wasn't super impressed... :!:
What didn't you like about it, specifically? I use mine sporadically but I have had great results with it every time I use it. I am kind of moving away from using compressors when I play but usually plug one in if I am recording. I am interested to hear your take.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

dazed and confused wrote:The Dynacomp is certainly a great compressor. Also great are Orange Squeezers, once you get em set up :tu:

I am currently borrowing this. It is the best Compressor I have ever used:

I want........If only I could find one.
Pedal Geek has them for 259, delivered.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by dazed and confused »

Oh cool, thanks man :tu: I'll drop em I line.

The rectifier is great too in this one. A very flexible compressor.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

1bottlerocket wrote:
redeyeflight wrote:I used to have the analogman bi-comprosser...I wasn't super impressed... :!:
What didn't you like about it, specifically? I use mine sporadically but I have had great results with it every time I use it. I am kind of moving away from using compressors when I play but usually plug one in if I am recording. I am interested to hear your take.
It robbed me of my high end and it added a bit too much noise for my taste (which I know is something compressors do by nature). I think its a cool pedal...I liked the OS side much more but it just didn't have the "pop" of a dynacomp to my ears...I dunno, like I said, I just think I don't really like compressors in general. The bi-comp will probably make most pretty happy...I just didn't dig it for my sound. In comparison, I thought a demeter compulator was much more transparent and didn't take my high end away. I think a lotta folks will like that slight fattening/smoothing of the highs that the analogman gives your tone but I just don't dig it...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

redeyeflight wrote:
1bottlerocket wrote:
It robbed me of my high end and it added a bit too much noise for my taste (which I know is something compressors do by nature).

I think a lotta folks will like that slight fattening/smoothing of the highs that the analogman gives your tone but I just don't dig it...
That's interesting. Which pickups/guitars do you regularly use? I primarily use strats and P90 equipped guitars. Pretty much all the pickups I have are 'vintage' voiced and by that I mean they are relatively low output under 6k, by today's standards, while my favorite set measures 4.9, 5.3, 5.8. I really didn't loose a lot of top end with my rigs and I did notice the smoothing out of the tonal range, as you mentioned. This can go to an extreme too which is why I tend to limit my use of compressors. I also noticed that I play more carefully now that I have weaned myself off compressors.

I also agree, that both models could be more transparent but I think that both Keeley and Analogman are sort of putting their signature stamp on the tone with these compressors.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

yeah...I use a similar setup...tele w/ stock lower output PU's and a SG w/ p-90's. Def not a bad pedal by any means but i just didn't like the overall tone...I always crave more treble...a TS-9 is waaaay too warm for my tastes. Just my personal opinion. You could do a lot worse than a bi-comp that's for sure!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Last boutique-ish compressor I had was an Analogman compROSSor...not the bicomp just the Ross circuit. It was quite quiet for a compressor but just didn't grab me at all. I had convinced myself my old DC was too noisy so I sold it :doh:
Bought another early block logo -- a player, modded for TB, with a 9V power jack. Great.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

I'm a big big big fan of the BJF Pine Green... I generally play with it off but when i want compression its there, when i want a boost, its there, when i want some simple tone enhancement or whatever, yeah its in there too... so much nuance in the "body" knob, a lot of the pedal's range gets overlooked. the full on ross style squash if you want it but it can be extremely subtle and tasteful as well... definitely spendy for a comp but now that i have it i wouldn't really even consider trying another one

(unless a d*a*m dyna-comp surfaced, of course :hihi:)